Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Now reboot your pc and you should have an option to boot either old windows or new windows.
They'll be named both windows 10. You'll have to figure out, which one is what.

Change-boot-order-in-Windows-10-1.jpg

Reactions: Kyroix 74

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Ok so Volume 4 is the new windows, so there is still something wrong with the Old one, takes me back to the repair screen. Should i try to go back to it and tell you what it says so maybe we can fix it in the new one?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Ok so i rebooted and the problem with the old windows is:

The application or operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\winload.efi

Edit: I don’t know if i did this right but i copied the winload.efi file from C Drive to D Drive (new to old)
Now i’ve rebooted and a new file destination and message has appeared:

The OS Couldn’t be loaded because the system registry contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\config\system

Last edited:

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
You can try copying missing file. Execute from elevated command prompt.
(single line)
copy c:\windows\system32\winload.efi d:\windows\system32\

But it seems to me, old windows is seriously damaged, lot of files missing. May not be possible to fix it.
Just copied that file. Please see my recent message, i’ve edited it.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
For future reference, "or from backup only " is the proper way to handle this.
A good backup routine, and you could have been up and running in an hour.

But that backup needs to happen before the system goes bad.
So, what is this backup routine. Backing up all the files in my Drive, and pasting them into a spare usb flash drive that i can later on put back in when it’s reset?

USAFRet

Titan
So, what is this backup routine. Backing up all the files in my Drive, and pasting them into a spare usb flash drive that i can later on put back in when it’s reset?
A proper full drive backup can include everything needed to recover and boot from.
But not just a simple copy/paste.

I use Macrium Reflect, and create an Image. This is the whole drive....boot partition, OS, applications, personal files, etc, etc. Everything.

Free software and an external drive or two. Cheap and easy.
Backups are kinda like car insurance. Pretty much a required thing.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
A proper full drive backup can include everything needed to recover and boot from.

I use Macrium Reflect, and create an Image. This is the whole drive....boot partition, OS, applications, personal files, etc, etc. Everything.

So you’re saying i can backup everything on that Drive and just paste it back in to the new windows i have after i reset?

USAFRet

Titan
So you’re saying i can backup everything on that Drive and just paste it back in to the new windows i have after i reset?
Not quite "paste".

You create an Image, or series of Images. This is the WHOLE drive contents.
You also create a RescueUSB

If the system ever goes south, you boot from the RescueUSB.
Find the Recover function.
Tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to.
It will recover that Image, and overwrite everything on the indicated drive.
Bring the system back to exactly the condition is was when you created the Image. Yesterday, last week, whenever...

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Not quite "paste".

You create an Image, or series of Images.
You also create a RescueUSB

If the system ever goes south, you boot from the RescueUSB.
Find the Recover function.
Tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to.
It will recover that Image, and overwrite everything on the indicated drive.
Bring the system back to exactly the condition is was when you created the Image. Yesterday, last week, whenever...
I get what you’re saying but i have no clue what an ‘Image’ is, in this case, and how to execute all of this

USAFRet

Titan
I get what you’re saying but i have no clue what an ‘Image’ is, in this case, and how to execute all of this

Once you get this system back up and running, read that link I posted above.
The software indicated in there, Macrium Reflect, will mostly guide you through the whole process.
And of course, you can come here and ask all the questions you want if anything is still unclear.

Reactions: Kyroix 74

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Once you get this system back up and running, read that link I posted above.
The software indicated in there, Macrium Reflect, will mostly guide you through the whole process.
And of course, you can come here and ask all the questions you want if anything is still unclear.
I mean i know what apps i want to get back, so i might just go with the reset

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Your current system seems to be too far gone for a "reset".

A full reinstall and then reinstallation of all your applications.

After that, consider this backup routine thing.
Why is it too far to reset? What’s the difference between a reset and a full reinstall, i mean both fully reset windows to its original state

Status
Not open for further replies.