Question Best option for using speakers with a pc monitor ?

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Currently moving into a small student room and looking to get a 27 inch (ish) monitor (or TV) as anything bigger wouldn't really fit in this area.

My bookshelf size speakers are wharfedale diamond 220s, with a Cambridge audio a300 amp.

What's my best option in regards to the sound card/aux slot with monitors? I'm pretty sure they're mostly all bad sounding, I've had other speakers plugged into my current AOC monitor before and the drop in sound quality is very noticeable. Is there a monitor out there that could handle my speakers ? I would go with a TV but I'm looking to do work on this monitor as well as use it for entertainment and, unless I'm mistaken, most TV panels wouldn't be suitable for long hours of work. I can still listen to music on the speakers seperately fine but I like using the speakers for films/TV and my Roku doesn't have its own dedicated audio slot.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Thanks

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Monitors don't have a sound card.

At best, they are a passthrough from the motherboard/GPU/soundcard in the PC.
I guess used sound card for want of a better word. I meant the 3.5mm slot on a monitor. Essentially are there monitors out there that when plugging my standalone speakers into, could they produce decent sound. As I've plugged powered speakers into my current AOC monitor before and the drop in sound quality was noticeable.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
The only possibility I can think of that might work for you in this scenario is an HP all-in-one PC.
I still can plug my speakers into my PC I was just hoping there might be monitors out there that when plugging into the 3.5mm slot would sound good. I think I misused sound card, just simply want a monitor could handle standalone speakers input well