Question Best Slot for 16GB RAM Upgrade for Optimal Performance in a Laptop?

Oct 7, 2024
Hi everyone,
I have a laptop with two RAM slots. One of the slots is currently occupied by a 4GB DDR4-2400 SK Hynix stick. I recently bought a 16GB DDR4-2400 SK Hynix RAM to upgrade.
My question is: should I place the 16GB stick in Slot 1 or Slot 2 when paired with the 4GB for the best performance, or does it not make a difference?

I know this might seem like a basic or unnecessary question to some, but I’m asking out of genuine passion for learning and getting the most out of my machine. I just want to make sure I’m doing it right and getting the best performance possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much for your time and patience!

:::::::: my system specs :::::::::
Laptop: Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R45R
Processor Name: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
Motherboard Model: RR Metapod_RR
OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language (x64) Build 19045.4957 (22H2)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

My question is: should I place the 16GB stick in Slot 1 or Slot 2 when paired with the 4GB for the best performance, or does it not make a difference?
Don't mix and match sticks of ram. If you must go for a ram upgrade, you buy an identical stick of ram or a ram kit, in your case, you should've looked at a 2x8GB DDR4-2400MHz kit. I would advise on replacing teh 4GB stick of ram with the 16GB stick you've purchased.

You should also make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your laptop prior to replacing the stick of ram or performing your ram upgrade.

Reactions: Ambadyvs
Hi everyone,
I have a laptop with two RAM slots. One of the slots is currently occupied by a 4GB DDR4-2400 SK Hynix stick. I recently bought a 16GB DDR4-2400 SK Hynix RAM to upgrade.

I know this might seem like a basic or unnecessary question to some, but I’m asking out of genuine passion for learning and getting the most out of my machine. I just want to make sure I’m doing it right and getting the best performance possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much for your time and patience!

:::::::: my system specs :::::::::
Laptop: Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R45R
Processor Name: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
Motherboard Model: RR Metapod_RR
OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language (x64) Build 19045.4957 (22H2)
It looks like the pc has a 16GB ram limit total.
Put the new stick in the open slot and see if the pc will boot.
If it does see how much ram the pc found.
You may be limited to 8GB per slot.

Reactions: Ambadyvs
Oct 7, 2024
q6gbo41mwpvm.png
What about this

TRENDING THREADS