therock003

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I'm having trouble deciding what sound card and speakers to buy,since i only want what's best.

For the card i'm between Asus Sonar and Auzentech x-fi prelude.I've read some reviews of Sonar being the complete package but its lack of EAX 5.1 is bothering me!

On the other hand as for speakers i'm Between logitch 5500 5.1 and Creative Gigaworks 7.1 .

I've heard some really mixed reviewes there for whats better and for what reason.As far as stats go logitech can go as far as 116db against 90db,and 5052 against 700w.

I want the louder,and as clear as possible sound,both for games,music and videos,so i'm really looking forward to a definite answer so i can proceed with purchasing them cause i can hardly wait.

therock003

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I dont need links with prices,i just need someone to tell me whats best and why,so i can get it.

As for speakers which have the loudest clearer sound?

nickr336

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
The best would be ONKYO 7.1 Surround Sound Receiver. And if you have a high end computer, your motherboard already has HD Audio with digital output (either coaxial or optical). Hook it up to a 65 inch 1080p HDTV and you will be amazed by the quality of the picture and 1000W of sound. After considering all options that's what I eneded up with and I am glad I did.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Thats exactly what I did, don't be snotty about it be grateful for me taking the time to suggest the best speakers and sound card. The reason I gave you the link was for the reviews that came with them, some people would have said thank you.

Thats exactly what I did, don't be snotty about it be grateful for me taking the time to suggest the best speakers and sound card.

Thats the problem with emails and texting, and forums. It's easy to take something out of context when you aren't talking directly with person face to face. I don't think the OP meant to be snotty, he's just saying he didn't intend to bother people with taking the time to hunt down links, just pop off the top of your head what you think is the best.

I agree with systemlord that this combination is high on the list for a really good sound setup.
It IS very hard to recommend sound setup's though. Sound is based almost entirely on personal preference.
What sounds great to one person, the next will think it's total crap. You really should hit the stores where they are set-up and listen to them for yourself.

therock003

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Of course i wasnt trying to be snotty or attack anyone,i didnt realise you meant for me to read the comments,i just stated that nobody has to bother with finding me offers,but instead provide me with his knowledge and experience of whats best.Sorry if it sounded that way,but please dont take it personal.

So let me take some time to process what you've provided me with so far and keep on with the discussion.

Thanx guys for helping me out.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
If you want the best do NOT buy those logitechs, they're very low end speakers. I personally don't understand these massive recommendation that the z5500s get.

This is me speaking from an Audiophile perspective but if you're wanting quality sound the least i recommend for a 2 channel system is a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amplifier and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. That'll set you back around $800 with another $80 for cabling.

However i do recommend you get the x-fi xtremegamer, it is a great soundcard.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
jitpublisher is right hit the stores if you can. If I had no budget I would spend $5000 dollars on just the speakers and a five pack of Krell industies 250W mono block amps for $25,000 dollars, lol. These Krell's put out 250 watts into 2 ohms 100% of the time. :D

SheizaSoSay

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Ok, I own a Prelude and Logitech Z-5500's. I HAVE owned a X-Fi gamer. Prelude is by far the poop (that's good). The Z-5500's compared to gigaworks I can't say. I will say I am TOTALLY satisfied. The Gigaworks have a great reputation. The Logitechs will not dissapoint. If you are super serious about the absolute best sound on the planet then you can hang up either set of speakers. There is no way 250-500$ worth of speakers are gonna hang. The Prelude is as far you need to look for a sound card though. There is no reason to get a creative soundcard now, Prelude has the x-fi chip AND has WAY WAY better components on the board. If anyone argues this they should do the research, I certainly have before I purchased the card. For a pair of F*** the BS speakers you will certainlyl shell out at least 800 bucks. That is without a sub though. My buddy has recently purchased a 5 speaker set from Polk, they are RSI series. They are large enough to handle all but the lower freq's that a sub requires and give a full spectum. The best subs you can get are made by Velodyne. The best receiver I know of to recommend would be a yamaha 2600. The receiver will set you back about 1300 bucks. These are seriously ballz to the wall pieces. If you are gaming you really don't need all that to get an incredible experience. If you plan on running a theater room for you house and play games on then you can go the expensive route. The gigaworks or the Logitechs will do you fine, take your pic if you don't want to go through all the other.

halcyon

Splendid

This is an age-old discussion, trust me. The Logitech Z-5500's are adequate for personal surround. They're mid-to-high end for PC speakers but pretty close to trash by audiophile standards. ...those 3" drivers beam like lasers and have very little dispersion.

HOWEVER, most people looking at them don't care about that...or they'd not be looking at PC speakers. So, IMO, if one (probably someone kind of young with a limited budget) is looking for a $200-$300 speaker system, without searching for seperates, buying a receiver, etc., etc. then the Z-5500's might be okay. I have them, they're not great, but they're better than some other PC speakers.

...and the sub, as distorted as a sub in that price range can be...does seem to ...kill the bacteria on walls. It hits hard. ...accurate enough for enjoying a game, but ignore the THX certification of the Z-5500's.

Again, they're okay for personal surround but don't expect them (or any other "PC speaker system") to add great sound to a living room). ...IMO.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

I have to disagree with you about the "best subs you can get are made by Velodyne". They're decent enough subwoofers but they don't excel in any single area, in my opinion. Although for the price they're quite impressive. If you really want "ballz to the wall pieces" as you put it, you're going to want to get something like a Wilson Benesch Torus or something similar. Then again something like that is easily going to cost £3000.

If i was in the market for a high end reciever at the moment it would either have to be Onkyo or Pioneer, their high end stuff really is bloody good.

Really if i priced up a "dream" stereo system it would come out well over £100,000 (which is around $200,000).

halcyon

Splendid
This may be a limit of my not reading all of everyone's posts, but is the OP really looking for information on a $1000+ audio solution to be used with his/her PC?

Is the OP really without a price limit? ...both questions are likely found in all the text of these concise posts.

therock003

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Wow you guys really stepped up.When i said no budget i didnt consider that you will come with these crazy dream prices!

Actually i'm not a sound expert or audiophile.I dont really know all that much about sound to be quite frank.All i want is a setup that i will buy once,and that i will then rest satisfied,without having to wait for the next best thing.

So when i said best i meant pc best,for all-around use,meaning a card and speakers,at about 600-650 euros.I said no budget cause i didnt think it will surpass it,let alone reach a 100k and maybe even 200k...

So i dont think i need recievers and onkyo parts or anything,just the best pci card and best PC-speakers.

So after this is said i'm glad to hear that SheizaSoSak is a prelude owner and is giving his opinion.I will gladly take your word,being better than the creative but i wiould also like to ask you if you can make a comparison between the asus sonar,because its rumored to be shiznit so far.

I'm still wondering about the speakers thoug.Creative is still 7.1 and 200w heavier,but we still have logitech fans vouching for the 5500.

IF the Prelude is no better than sonar then its sold for me,but i ould still like a final word between the Creative vs Logitech battle.

halcyon

Splendid
...sounds like we could use some more info from the OP about what she/he is really looking for. She/he, does have a budget and letting the forum know what that budget is would likely get she/he some more useful information. I've used a bunch of Creative soundcards but thankfully there's a few good alternatives now. I'm especially liking the Asus Xonar (and heck, its even PCI-E) but I also hear good things about the Azun... Prelude too.

...not that you really go off-course with an X-Fi.

In my opinion, the OP would be better off with a $200-300 HT receiver/speakers set than with the Logitech Z-5500s/Creative Gigaworks...and that'd probably offer more utility too. Any BestBuy or Circuit City-type of shop could offer this. ...unless the OP doesn't want any full-sized components.

Logitech makes great mice and keyboards, they don't make great speakers, IMO.

EDIT: Ahhh, the OP has posted. ...wants "PC speakers". The Logitech Z-5500's are nifty in that you get speakers and a DD decoder for the price...so there's some utility there. ...and the sub is "Fun"...if not accurate. However, I've read in the forums that most consider the Creative Gigaworks to be better quality ("sounding") speakers. I have the Z-5500's and they're fine for watching a movie (at my computer) or listening to music (at my computer) in a smallish room. Their control-center/DD decoder is a nice piece of kit, considering the price and they look to be built reasonably well. They just don't have great-room-filling dispersion, but if not used in a living room, that shouldn't be an issue.

l3admonky

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I understand that you want the best PC speakers and sound card while staying within a 600-650 euro budget, but for that much money I think the best option is, as Halcyon stated, to move search into the home audio sector. I don't know how things are where you're at but over here @ Circuit City they're selling a 7.1 Onkyo home theater system that puts out 130 watts RMS per channel with a 230 watt power sub woofer and 1080p video switching for under $500 us dollars so about 230 - 250 euros. Add a decent sound card x-fi, sonar whatever and a optical or digital coax cable and set. That's what have and my games, music, and movies have never sounded better. If you're explicitly trying to stay with just PC speakers then the logitech or the Gigaworks will be fine .

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
First off the difference in sound cards is trivial at best. You can bounce specs back and forth but how many people can HEAR the SNR difference between 90dB and 100dB+? Even a cheap $100 stereo receiver and a decent set of bookshelves from a company in the range of Infinity or Polk will blow away Logitech speakers on ANY sound card. My old roommate had a 2.1 Logitech system that had an ~80W sub (about 2 years ago so I forget the model) running on an Audigy 2ZS and I converted him to "real" speakers with my 5.25" Infinity Alpha 10s, a 12W RMS/channel receiver from the late 60s, and an absolutely terrible onboard Realtek ALC655 (any of the HD codecs sound fine to me acoustically although they have more hiss than an Audigy class card when nothing is playing). Sure there wasn't as much bass on my setup but the bass sounded BETTER as did everything else.

-mcg

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Ok... this is laughable. I didn't realize that the Z5500 had a $350 MSRP. I looked up the specs (this is an abbreviation as the rest of the list is more of the same)
Sub-woofer: 188 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)
Satellites: Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)
10% THD at rated wattage! The sound card issue won't matter with these speakers... its almost as vain as worrying about the color of your monitor's bezel instead of the specs on the panel.

Since the budget was at least $350 plus whatever the sound card would cost I'd recommend at least a pair of Infinity Beta 20s, something similar from Polk, or something similar from a comparable speaker company.
http://electronics.pricegrabber.com...a 20/st=product/sv=title/sort_type=bottomline
Getting a cheap $100 stereo receiver is still an option if you need to maintain a budget, but a stereo receiver from Onkyo should be noticeably better. TX-8522 I think... but I really need to be going. Good luck!

-mcg

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Simple. Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, and a good home theather setup. Baring that, go with the Prelude and the Z-5500s. I'm a major music listener, gamer, and down right bass junkie, and the 55s never fail to amaze me. I upgraded from my X-Plosion to the Prelude and I absolutely love the sound quality that comes out of that system. Yes, I have it hooked up to both my Harman Kardon amp, as well as the Logitechs.

Oh yeah, MrCommunistGen Do you not realize that a 10DB difference is a little over 12 times louder? Most people don't realize that an increase of 3DB represents a doubleing of sound. That being said 3db would bring you to double your original SPL, 6db will be 4x (your original 3DB double) doubled, and then finally your 2nd doubling. LOL, have I lost anyone yet?