Question Best time to upgrade? Need new CPU and etc.

hellzer

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Currently have a rig with sub-par AMD FX-8320 CPU and only 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.
Everything else is good. MSI ARMOR GTX 1080 8GB (OC edition), RM 650x PSU, SSD drive. So you can see I got a pretty huge bottleneck for my GPU.
Basically I need a new CPU (Intel is still king?), will need a new motherboard (not doing any overclocking) as well and new RAMs (DDR4 I believe). Willing to spend around 1000 euros or less.
What would be the best options and best time to buy those components looking at the current state of the market and possible price changes in the future?

Last edited:
Now is a bad time to buy a cpu. Ryzen 3000 is due in the next 3 months and it looks very promising and suggestions are it will close the IPC gap to Intel. Now normally I am one to say buy when you need to but with potentially a big shake up on the horizon it seems waiting is the best thing.

Dark Lord of Tech

Polypheme
Reactions: hellzer

DSzymborski

Illustrious
Generally speaking, the best time to make a purchase is when you need an upgrade and you have the money for the upgrade you need. Time is a component in cost, remember; imagine a scenario in which you could save $50 on the CPU/motherboard/RAM by waiting six months. You'd save $50 there, but you'd lose out by not using your 1080's advantage over a 1060 for six months, negating some of the reason you paid a premium over a 1060.

Honestly, with a thousand Euros for your new build and only needing CPU/MB/RAM, the world is your oyster. The only question is if you get a 9700k/9900k now or wait a little bit (we're close to a release) and check out the Ryzen 3000 reviews. The prices of top-end stuff don't really fluctuate all that much, short of some unknown event that it would be hard to know in advance (like the flooding in Malaysia for hard drives or the cryptoblip that made the GPU market a tire fire for six months).

If you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Many are atwitter about the upcoming 3000 series ryzen, but nobody really knows what that will entail. Price/performance/availability...
AMD will charge what the traffic will bear, they are not about to give product away for anything less.

Today, $250 will buy you a cpu/mobo and ram that beats your FX machine handily.
Your $1000 budget is massive.
For gaming,
Look for a i5-9600K or i7-9700K.
Use a z390 based motherboard.
A 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit(speed is not important)
Decent air cooler
and... you will have funds left over for a nvme ssd for windows.

For multithreaded batch apps, look to ryzen which offers many threads for a good price.

If you are wondering how many threads you are currently using effectively, try this experiment:

Remove one or more cores/threads and run YOUR games. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS