G

I want to set-up an old Dell Dimension XPS P90 as a server. Right now, the bios is limiting my harddrive to 1gig. I want to put a larger hd in but their is no bios upgrade that will allow me to do this. What can I do to overcome this limitation? Thanks, cope.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pick up a Controller card. Either IDE or SCSI. It doesn't matter. Controller cards have a built-in bios, that is independent of the motherboards bios. I recomend the Promise controller cards. They are one of the best out there. Actually if i were you i would get the RAID promise card. That way you can take 4 smaller drives ( lets say 20gb) and make it into one huge disk ( 80gb ) with raid 0. good luck and let me know if you have any problems.

G

You could also try installing the HD using the software specifically designed for it (ie: MaxBlast for Maxtor hard drives,Ontrack DiskManager® DiskGo!..) and see if that overcomes the problem.

G

Yes yu can but after having a bios issue I called MAxtor help and the tech gave me two options; one was to try the overlay and the second was to use a controller card. His recommendation was the controller card if cost wasn't part of the equation. I read that as saying the card is better.
j

G

Sorry its taken me so long to get back. I guess I didn't state it in my original post but I already updated the bios. It still doesn't allow for a larger hd. I will think about the other suggestions. Thanks for the input. cope

http://www.coperam.com