[SOLVED] Bluetooth does not Recognize Any Devices

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
My PC does not seem able to detect any devices, of any sort. I can't for the life of me figure out why. No devices will show up on the "Add Bluetooth or other device" menu under "Bluetooth & other devices". It simply remains idle, with nothing appearing.
MoBo: ROG Crosshair VIII (Wi-Fi)
Things I've tried:
  • Restart PC
  • Update Drivers thru Device Manager
  • Reinstall drivers thru Device Manager
  • Update motherboard drivers
  • Run the Bluetooth Troubleshooter
None of this appeared to help. Of interest was the Bluetooth Troubleshooter, though.
The troubleshooter "appears" to resolve the issue. It finds "Check Bluetooth Radio Status" and sayings "Fixed" by turning it "on". However, this supposed change has no effect. Bluetooth will still detect nothing. Running the Bluetooth Troubleshooter again will return the same results--it is supposedly 'fixing' the issue each time but with no change whatsoever and will return the same result if I run it again immediately after it finished.
I think it might be significant that no "Radio" appears in my device manager.
Under Bluetooth devices appears;
  • Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
  • Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)
  • Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
  • Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator
Is the fact that no "radio" appears indicative of a hardware issue? (I checked View > Show hidden).
Also of note:
  • The device I'm hoping to pair (Soundcore Liberty Ear Buds) is detected by my phone. They are working properly.
  • My phone can see my Computer's bluetooth but cannot communicate with it.
  • Trying to pair it from my computer returns the message "Can't communicate with OWNER PC" on my Google Pixel 3. It doesn't seem to give further detail than that.
Please help! These earbuds are a big part of a project I'm working with!

Solution
I believe so, as my PC is able to successfully identify nearby WiFi signals. Should I open it up and check to make sure that the connection is secure, or is the PC's ability to see WiFi options sound enough proof that the antenna is attached?
I am referring to the external antenna that came with the motherboard.

wzc3s76pmiejwptk_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Have you checked in the BIOS to see if the Bluetooth Controller is enabled?

Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration / Bluetooth Controller
- This item allows you to enable or disable the Intel Bluetooth controller.Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]

Thank you for the response. This was good thinking but alas it did not help.

I went to the BIOS and it was enabled. I tried disabling, restarting, reenabling, and restarting again but to no luck. The problem is persisting.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thank you for the response. This was good thinking but alas it did not help.

I went to the BIOS and it was enabled. I tried disabling, restarting, reenabling, and restarting again but to no luck. The problem is persisting.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.
Do you have the Wi-Fi antenna connected to the back I/O ports on your motherboard? The onboard Bluetooth also uses the antenna.

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Do you have the Wi-Fi antenna connected to the back I/O ports on your motherboard? The onboard Bluetooth also uses the antenna.

I believe so, as my PC is able to successfully identify nearby WiFi signals. Should I open it up and check to make sure that the connection is secure, or is the PC's ability to see WiFi options sound enough proof that the antenna is attached?

fabiand

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
I am referring to the external antenna that came with the motherboard.

wzc3s76pmiejwptk_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

Oh my gosh! I'm so embarassed that the solution was this simple!

I had not reattached the antenna when I moved my computer...

Ugh, a bit of a facepalm for me but it is relieving that there was not a larger, more serious issue present.

Thank you so much for your help! This was driving me nuts!! You have my appreciation, sir.

Reactions: rocktalkrock