[SOLVED] Bluetooth dongle issue - not detecting/connecting on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2020
Hello,
I recently bought Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. It unfortunately requires Bluetooth for the wireless ability and didn't come with it's own dongle piece like many do. So I thought ok, all I need is to buy a Bluetooth dongle online. I managed to get one and now it appears that it won't connect and/or detect anything. This is my first time ever trying to use Bluetooth on PC so I am admittedly pretty lost.

The Bluetooth dongle I purchased is "Bluetooth Adapter for PC, Techkey USB Mini Bluetooth 5.0 EDR Dongle" on Amazon for $19.99. I installed the Bluetooth's drivers it came with and all, but it still doesn't work. It shows a Bluetooth symbol on my tray and whatnot but doesn't appear to be picking up anything. The headset flawlessly connects to my phones Bluetooth.

unknown.png
The icon to the right is something that the driver came with titled "Realtek USB Wireless LAN." I look in the driver instructions and it says the symbol means that a wireless network card is not detected. Do you need a wireless network card to use a Bluetooth dongle or is this something irrelevant?

I am super lost and pretty bummed and not sure what do to. Could someone ever so kindly give me direction?

Here's my PC's hardware if that helps at all: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32751178

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
All Windows needs is a Bluetooth adapter with the proper drivers applied. The procedures given are the only ones needed. Have you read and followed the troubleshooting in the "NOTE" section under "To pair a Bluetooth headset, speaker, or other audio device"?

Most problems are not on the Windows side but are with the device being connected. You must ensure that the device is actually in discovery mode.
Sep 8, 2020
It just sits at this forever. I've tried my Audio-Technica headset, a random pair of bluetooth earbuds I use at the gym and my phone. It still sits here and scans forever.
unknown.png

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not that lost. :sweatsmile:

Sep 8, 2020
Here's the manual for the headphones. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/431644.pdf

It states "When switching Bluetooth devices, you may be unable to pair because the previously connected Bluetooth device cannot be disconnected. In this case, press and hold the volume buttons (+ and -) and the control button as shown in the figure for 8 seconds. The product will start “searching for devices” and you can pair Bluetooth devices that you want to connect."

I have done this and still no luck. Additionally, my Bluetooth earbuds have a pairing scan button and the dongle doesn't pick it up either.

All I need is a Bluetooth dongle, right? I should be able to connect to it? I don't need anything else?
Is there a way to directly test that the dongle with my phone other than connecting to it?

All Windows needs is a Bluetooth adapter with the proper drivers applied. The procedures given are the only ones needed. Have you read and followed the troubleshooting in the "NOTE" section under "To pair a Bluetooth headset, speaker, or other audio device"?

Most problems are not on the Windows side but are with the device being connected. You must ensure that the device is actually in discovery mode.

Reactions: Zawazuki
Solution
Sep 8, 2020
Yes sir, I've tried everything listed in there. I know that Audio-Technica ATH-M50x is compatiable with PC. I'm wondering if my Bluetooth dongle is faulty...

I appreciate your help.

While it's always possible the dongle is faulty it's extremely unlikely.

Have you visually verified that the headphones are actually in discovery mode? (see page 12 of the manual for the indicator lamp display) Until that happens no pairing will take place. Same goes for resetting the headphones, all three buttons must be pressed simultaneously and held in order to clear any settings.

Reactions: Zawazuki
Sep 8, 2020
I do indeed have it pairing with quick pulsing flash intervals. I'm simply at a loss... When I press the Everything Else button in Bluetooth it does appear to be picking up someones Linux client, so that does give me hope.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.