Question Booting issue after windows 10 Update

denniskuz

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
Windows has recently updated and it seemed like a large update as it took rather a long time with multiple reboots. After it updated itself, it seemed to have totally reset my BIOS to default settings (however changed the date so i was in 2089 and now after a couple times turning the power totally on and off again, it resets to 2009) and also changed the boot order (I have multiple drives) from what I had it to.

When I change the BIOS settings back to what I had it (fan speed and basic things like that) it won't remember it once I switch off the PC and then turn it back on, however it will remember the boot order only if I disable every boot option except my main SSD that I usually boot into.

Another issue is that upon pressing the power button on the case, it seems like things switch on, but nothing happens for 2 seconds, then the fans start to spin and everything starts to boot up. It used to instant upon pressing the power button. Then i come to the post screen, giving me the option to enter BIOS, it goes off and then I come to an error screen (America Megatrends) asking me to press F1 to go to the setup (I will try get a photo and upload it to here). I press F1, it sends me to the BIOS, regardless of what I do, it doesn't seem to help, I exit BIOS (either with or without changing anything) and it boots me to my OS and everything works fine.

Colif

Win 10 Master
Windows has recently updated and it seemed like a large update as it took rather a long time with multiple reboots.
that sounds like a Version update

it seemed to have totally reset my BIOS to default settings (however changed the date so i was in 2089 and now after a couple times turning the power totally on and off again, it resets to 2009) and also changed the boot order (I have multiple drives) from what I had it to.

When I change the BIOS settings back to what I had it (fan speed and basic things like that) it won't remember it once I switch off the PC and then turn it back on, however it will remember the boot order only if I disable every boot option except my main SSD that I usually boot into.
Win 10 cannot change bios settings, how old is motherboard? How old is cmos battery? you might need a new CMOS battery as it sounds like its forgetting settings.

2nd issue could also be caused by cmos battery perhaps.

denniskuz

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
that sounds like a Version update

Win 10 cannot change bios settings, how old is motherboard? How old is cmos battery? you might need a new CMOS battery as it sounds like its forgetting settings.

2nd issue could also be caused by cmos battery perhaps.
It’s an ASUS ROG Strix 270F and it’s just hit 2 years old. I guess I’ll get another CMOS battery and see but it’s odd that this happened off the back of a windows update, no?

I also had a quick search weather windows can change BIOS settings and it seems like there are instances where it can?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS