Question Brand new computer / worried about gaming temps

kevinjmay

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
It's been a long time since I've posted here, so I'm sorry for that. But good news, I have finally built a much-needed new computer to replace my old which had a GeForce 1070 Ti Duke and an Intel Core i7-6700K. At the time, it was decent, and actually still runs current games okay (on all low settings).

Fast forward to today, and now I'm running an Intel Core i9-13900K with a GeForce RTX 3080 Ti. The full build/specs can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j9cYyK

I was warned about how terribly hot this cpu ran (via Linus tech tips), but I just wanted the best parts I could get for my budget, while also having room to upgrade my gpu later.

Everything seems to be running great in terms of performance while gaming. But, I am a bit worried about how crazy hot everything gets in and outside of the case. I've tried to cool it as much as I can with the amazing Noctua fans: NH-D15 for the cpu, 140mm top fans (2), 140mm front fans (2), and a 120mm back exhaust fan. I need help making sure that everything in my new PC is running as expected, or at least in the same range as others with similar specs. Tips are welcome on how to make things run cooler (if possible).

Never used this tool before, HWMonitor, but I looked at where the temperatures were getting while gaming vs sitting idle. Cpu is 36º - 100ºC. Gpu is 32º - 69ºC

This takes me back to my mention of Linus before, his results (on the video titled 'Almost Everyone is Wasting Their Money On CPU Coolers') showed the NH-D15 cooling the i9-13900K to 76º max... why isn't mine close to that? I am also only gaming at 1080p, max settings, and no ray-tracing... exactly like he tested.

Just curious about everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO, drop your side panel and see if CPU temps come down. If not:

Check cooler mounting to be sure it is even and the paste is making full and even contact with the CPU.

What are ambient temps were you are located?

I rather wonder if the fans being used aren't actually causing you to pull air out the top before it is effectively reaching the CPU cooler. Try disabling the top front and forward top fans to see if temps get better.

kevinjmay

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
IMO, drop your side panel and see if CPU temps come down. If not:

Check cooler mounting to be sure it is even and the paste is making full and even contact with the CPU.

What are ambient temps were you are located?

I rather wonder if the fans being used aren't actually causing you to pull air out the top before it is effectively reaching the CPU cooler. Try disabling the top front and forward top fans to see if temps get better.
With air conditioning, I would say that my office stays around 72º F. I'm located in Pennsylvania.

I think... I set up my fans so that the top and front would both suck air in and then the cpu cooler fans/back exhaust would move it all out. Is that not ideal?

I will say... playing Diablo 4 for roughly an hour and my temps are only 78 max on the cpu and 62 max on the gpu, which sounds more normal to me. Maybe my settings were messed up when I was playing BF2042, which is where I experienced the super high temps.

IDProG

Distinguished
It's been a long time since I've posted here, so I'm sorry for that. But good news, I have finally built a much-needed new computer to replace my old which had a GeForce 1070 Ti Duke and an Intel Core i7-6700K. At the time, it was decent, and actually still runs current games okay (on all low settings).

Fast forward to today, and now I'm running an Intel Core i9-13900K with a GeForce RTX 3080 Ti. The full build/specs can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j9cYyK

I was warned about how terribly hot this cpu ran (via Linus tech tips), but I just wanted the best parts I could get for my budget, while also having room to upgrade my gpu later.

Everything seems to be running great in terms of performance while gaming. But, I am a bit worried about how crazy hot everything gets in and outside of the case. I've tried to cool it as much as I can with the amazing Noctua fans: NH-D15 for the cpu, 140mm top fans (2), 140mm front fans (2), and a 120mm back exhaust fan. I need help making sure that everything in my new PC is running as expected, or at least in the same range as others with similar specs. Tips are welcome on how to make things run cooler (if possible).

Never used this tool before, HWMonitor, but I looked at where the temperatures were getting while gaming vs sitting idle. Cpu is 36º - 100ºC. Gpu is 32º - 69ºC

This takes me back to my mention of Linus before, his results (on the video titled 'Almost Everyone is Wasting Their Money On CPU Coolers') showed the NH-D15 cooling the i9-13900K to 76º max... why isn't mine close to that? I am also only gaming at 1080p, max settings, and no ray-tracing... exactly like he tested.

Just curious about everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Linus' video showed that NH-D15 could not fully cool the 13900K and that it would stay at 100°C.
Where is this 76°C that you're talking about?

But don't be discouraged. The 13900K is THAT hard to cool. It requires a 360mm AIO cooler to cool it to below 100°C at full power.

If you don't like the temps, you can try to undervolt it.

Reactions: kevinjmay

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I'd try reversing the fans in the top of your case and set them to exhaust, then keep on experimenting. Leave the side panel off the case and aim a large desk fan at the motherboard.

Are you running the case fans hard and putting up with the noise, or running them slowly with the risk of overheating?

I keep all the case fans in my video rendering system (7950X) running at 100% (2 front panel fans, 2 rear panel).
The two fans on my Noctua NH-D15 are set to a fairly aggressive profile in the BIOS.
The GPU fans are left at default (controlled by the video card) but they seem to cope when rendering videos.

I did consider the i9-13900K because Puget Systems' benchmark shows it runs slightly faster than the 7950X in Adobe Premiere Pro, but the 7950X is easier to cool.

I know my system would run cooler in my Fractal Define R7 full tower case, but I prefer the aesthetics of my old Lian Li Super Silent Aluminium tower case.

I don't have CPB or PBO enabled for my 7950X and I'm not overclocking the RAM.

If your 13900K is stable, don't get too concerned if it sits at 100C during gaming. It's designed to boost up to this temperature, in the same way the 7950X boosts to 95C.

As IDProG said, if you don't like high temperatures, try undevolting the CPU, or turn off all boost options in the BIOS.

Good luck.

Reactions: kevinjmay