[SOLVED] Broke the PCI-E retention lock on my motherboard, help!

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Guys I was removing my RTX 3070 to clean it and I accidentally broke the x4 pcie retention lock, the x16 where the RTX 3070 is installed is fine, can I fix this in India or not? Help me, what will happen if I install the GPU without the locking clip? Will it fall off? I don't use the x4 slot I only use the x16 slot where the 3070 is installed!

Solution
Except for the 3090, all gtx/rtx cards have discontinued use of the sli port. So you might as well say sli was now firmly a dead subject. That leaves the purpose DX12 was built for, multi-gpu (mgpu) and to date that's a dead end, 99.9% of games don't support mgpu and the ones that do support it, do so miserably.

Physically there's very few physical cards that are x16 and have a pin requirement other than gpus.

So the only way that port will ever get used is if you had a 'brain fart' and decided to seriously chop your gpu output by putting your gpu there instead of the primary port, which I don't see as happening nor plausible.

Your OCD I can do nothing about, same as I can't fix mine, so I fully understand that implication, so as...
so if i install my gpu inside that slot will it fall off or will it impact performance?
Depends on weight of cooling solution for the particular card model.

What you can do is to flip your pc to the side, so graphics card stands vertically.
Or if your pc case supports it, you could mount graphics card vertically with pcie extension cable.

1516646021_img_3202_full.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020

What you can do is to flip your pc to the side, so graphics card stands vertically.
Or if your pc case supports it, you could mount graphics card vertically with pcie extension cable.

maxresdefault.jpg
I have a corsair icue220T no way i can mount vertically anyways is there any way i can fix it?

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020

maxresdefault.jpg
if i decide to mount the gpu on the x4 slot will it fall off if tightened with a screw, will it impact performance? the x16 is fine though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm confused.
I've never seen a retention clip on an x4 slot. The only clip I've ever seen is on the x16 slot.

You will not be using the x4 slot for a gpu unless you are mining. For all standard video applications, like gaming, the only gpu you'll use will be in the top x16 slot (if there's 2 or 3).

Many x4 slots will not physically accept a gpu, as shown in the picture above, they are closed backs.

An x16 slot IS pcie in series. It's an x1 at the rear by the screws, an x4 at half way, an x8 at 3/4 or x16 at full length.

A 3070 requires an x16 connection for video output.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble
Dec 18, 2020

maxresdefault.jpg

[/QU
Guys I was removing my RTX 3070 to clean it and I accidentally broke the x4 pcie retention lock, the x16 where the RTX 3070 is installed is fine, can I fix this in India or not? Help me, what will happen if I install the GPU without the locking clip? Will it fall off? I don't use the x4 slot I only use the x16 slot where the 3070 is installed!

The PCIEx16 motherboard slot has a superior connection to the CPU and DRAM, enhancing performance and stability. It should also supply 66 watts of 12 V power and about 9 via 3,3 V. I don't know how much is used by the card, but 20x0 models appear to break down quite regularly.

It will most likely use some of the power for the GPU core. (I'm guessing, don't know if this information is available). And it will very likely be used for some extra charge or stability when VRAM or core voltage from auxiliary adapters don,'t cut it.

High RAM clocks will drain most power, and these can result in the core throttling down to remain stable. Starting to play around with power and voltage settings after this, would be the most harmful.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
I'm confused.
I've never seen a retention clip on an x4 slot. The only clip I've ever seen is on the x16 slot.

You will not be using the x4 slot for a gpu unless you are mining. For all standard video applications, like gaming, the only gpu you'll use will be in the top x16 slot (if there's 2 or 3).

Many x4 slots will not physically accept a gpu, as shown in the picture above, they are closed backs.

An x16 slot IS pcie in series. It's an x1 at the rear by the screws, an x4 at half way, an x8 at 3/4 or x16 at full length.

A 3070 requires an x16 connection for video output.
It's an x4 slot I think, what I do know is my motherboard has 3 GPU slots and I broke the 3rd slot which is x4 I think, the x16 is the first and main one which is fine, is there any I can fix it here in india? Is it possible? It's a minor thing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, they are all 3 x16 slots physically, but lanes, yes it's x4.

The only time that slot basically ever got any use (at the time) was with 3way sli/cf, which is a moot point today with today's cards.

So if that's the broken retention pin, it's no big deal, you dont/won't be using the gpu in it anyway, and any other card like a wifi or sound card will not physically be x16, it'll be x1 or x4 or maybe x8 physically at most.

So the pin is a non-issue, unless in the act of breaking it you damaged the actual socket as well, breaking the solder connections inside/underneath. That might create a lane issue but even then that's doubtful since the slot isn't under any load.

I can't see you having problems due to a broken piece of unused plastic.

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Oh, they are all 3 x16 slots physically, but lanes, yes it's x4.

The only time that slot basically ever got any use (at the time) was with 3way sli/cf, which is a moot point today with today's cards.

So if that's the broken retention pin, it's no big deal, you dont/won't be using the gpu in it anyway, and any other card like a wifi or sound card will not physically be x16, it'll be x1 or x4 or maybe x8 physically at most.

So the pin is a non-issue, unless in the act of breaking it you damaged the actual socket as well, breaking the solder connections inside/underneath. That might create a lane issue but even then that's doubtful since the slot isn't under any load.

I can't see you having problems due to a broken piece of unused plastic.
Well I have OCD I want things to be perfect the 3rd GPU slot has a broken retention clip that locks the GPU, anyways can I fix it? The clip is broken and so is the plastic holder underneath it, to make things simple if I ever decide to install a GPU there it won't be locked except by a screw, the plastic lock clip thing is broken and so is the base of it, it's some kind of small plastic base and the clip above is also broken, I guess my hands are too strong or the thing is very fragile, u said I'll never need the 3rd GPU slot right since most bandwidth comes from the 1st main slot which is x16? Please reply bro..

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
look guys thanks for all the replies, but let me explain again, My motherboard has 3 PCIE slots and the 3rd slot which is x4 which is never used to install a single GPU is broken, i broke the locking clip above it and the base holder underneath it! so if i ever install a gpu in the 3rd slot it will never lock properly because the clip and base is broken, anyway i can fix it here in india? is it possible? thank God the main PCIE x16 slot which everyone installs their main single GPU is alright, help me out guys? can i fix it? can i get parts online or someting?