Nov 30, 2020
Plea of help:

Hello. I built my first PC after dreaming about it for so long. But of course, with my luck, it gets blue screens at random intervals.
For the last week or more I've relentlessly tried to fix this problem, but to no avail sadly. I have reached a point where every single article, blog post or message board gives the exact same advice that I've tried many times.

Everyone keep yelling at me to just give it to a technician, but I feel like I'd give away free money to a guy who will find what I can aswell on the internet.
I am in extreme despair and I ask very kindly for you to help me.

Specs:

Mobo - Asrock z390m pro4
Cpu - i5 9600k (noctua nh-l9i)
Ram - ddr4 8gb 3200mhz (x2)
Gpu - nvidia gtx 1050ti
Ssd - adata 512gb su750
Hdd - currently in rma because it came broken
Psu - bequiet! 400w 80+gold

The error:

As I mentioned, the error has no specific intervals, neither things that cause it (as far as I've noticed). Before it dies task manager shows that disk usage spikes to 100%, but no program causes it.
It shows : UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION , CRITICAL PROCESS DIED(right now most of the time), KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR, SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION (I haven't seen these in a while but maybe they help)

It doesn't create a dump file, probably because it never loads after the bsod ("0% recovered data"), so I have to shut the pc down manually.

The event viewer shows every critical error as : "Kernel power 41" (70368744177664),(2).
This is one of the different properties (if needed I can send more examples) :

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/30/2020 12:35:58 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-30NMUNL
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-11-29T22:35:58.1869238Z" />
<EventRecordID>3147</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-30NMUNL</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">239</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffd283d2bf1080</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Troubleshooting:

I've tried virtually everything in my opinion.
Ram, cpu, gpu tests were all passed.
I've reinstalled windows 3 times and installed every driver extremely carefully.
I did everything the basic blogs told me like chkdsk or sfc scan which showed nothing wrong.
Bios is updated and set to default ( I've tried changing it to 2666 to comply with the cpu but nothing changes)
I have noticed that in task manager very often I see "power usage- very high" if that means anything

Conclusion:

I am willing to try anything. I will gladly rerun tests and try new suggestions.
If you're an amazing person who wishes to help and needs more info I will gladly comply.

From the bottom of my heart,
I thank you for your time.

(So much trouble just for pretty mhw graphics :(( )

Solution
Okey. Everything seems to be up to date. But it's weird to me because when its idle, everythings normal, but when I try and play a demanding game, the fan starts working extremely loud, and the machines side panel gets unusual warm just after 30 min or so. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but for the sake of my sanity I'm gonna disable the intel turbo setting :d.
you should run a tool to monitor your temps of your GPU
your cpu should be ok.

my nvidia card from MSI runs the fans too slow, i have to run their tool and set the fans to always run at 100% speed when there is any type or real load on the GPU. otherwise the temp really spikes up and the card overheats. this can lead to circuit traces cracking on the GPU board. you can...
In page error means the system could not access storage for some reason.
Check the data connections or move it to another port. Try the port directly supported by the CPU chipset (often the slower ports))
You will also want to go into bios find your data controller setting for the port and make sure it has hot swap enabled or what ever your bios calls it. This will allow a drive to reconnect if it is disconnected for some reason. Also some .motherboard have ports that have special meanings and require custom drivers. Generally the first or last port. After you check this you want to look at the motherboard vendors website for bios and driver updates.
Not being able to save a memory dump would be consistent with a disconnected drive.

Reactions: Rezo59
Nov 30, 2020
Update all of your drivers, or try Linux to see if you have a hardware problem rather than Windows being Windows.
I tried troubleshooting the drivers and updating them many times. I thought about trying Linux, but it looks scary from a newbies perspective. But if the problem persists after getting a higher power psu I guess there's no harm trying.

Nov 30, 2020
In page error means the system could not access storage for some reason.
Check the data connections or move it to another port. Try the port directly supported by the CPU chipset (often the slower ports))
You will also want to go into bios find your data controller setting for the port and make sure it has hot swap enabled or what ever your bios calls it. This will allow a drive to reconnect if it is disconnected for some reason. Also some .motherboard have ports that have special meanings and require custom drivers. Generally the first or last port. After you check this you want to look at the motherboard vendors website for bios and driver updates.
Not being able to save a memory dump would be consistent with a disconnected drive.
I thought it was the ssd aswell. The sata port on the mobo seemed loose thats why I became paranoid about it, and sometimes when rebooting after a bsod, bios didn't show the ssd available. But it came back after restart. I have a guess that this occurs because of my psu. Some people on another forum pointed it out, and my psu supplies not enough, and that's why the ssd dies. Though I don't know enough to state that. Could that be causing it? And thank you for you response :)).

Mr.Frisfruit

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Reset the CMOS/BIOS by removing and replacing the battery or clearing the jumper on your mobo. Reseat all of your components (including your cpu) and make sure every cable and fitting is in good condition. Format all your drives and reinstall windows. Once you've done that you've resetted windows and your mobo to factory settings. If the problem persists it is most likely hardware related.

If it's hardware related I'd start by checking the ram, test both bars individually in different slots and see if the problem persists. Your PSU isn't the most powerful but should be enough for this build. If you have a second hdd/ssd try installing windows onto there and see if it helps. If none of that helps I'd start checking the CPU and GPU. Have you tried stress testing both to see if it happens more often?

Nov 30, 2020
Reset the CMOS/BIOS by removing and replacing the battery or clearing the jumper on your mobo. Reseat all of your components (including your cpu) and make sure every cable and fitting is in good condition. Format all your drives and reinstall windows. Once you've done that you've resetted windows and your mobo to factory settings. If the problem persists it is most likely hardware related.

If it's hardware related I'd start by checking the ram, test both bars individually in different slots and see if the problem persists. Your PSU isn't the most powerful but should be enough for this build. If you have a second hdd/ssd try installing windows onto there and see if it helps. If none of that helps I'd start checking the CPU and GPU. Have you tried stress testing both to see if it happens more often?
I've tried everything you have mentioned in this post atleast 2 times. Memtest86 shows ram with 0 errors, and I've tried cinebench and furmark alongside many others. The bsod occurs very randomly, mostly while being idle, or just doing basic tasks like youtube/discord/chrome, though it still does appear in high usage situations. When I still had my hdd and didn't rma it, the problem still occurred, though I didn't try having windows be on it. Thank you for your reply :).

I thought it was the ssd aswell. The sata port on the mobo seemed loose thats why I became paranoid about it, and sometimes when rebooting after a bsod, bios didn't show the ssd available. But it came back after restart. I have a guess that this occurs because of my psu. Some people on another forum pointed it out, and my psu supplies not enough, and that's why the ssd dies. Though I don't know enough to state that. Could that be causing it? And thank you for you response :)).
-the only way the power supply would be involved would be due to a bad power cable connection.
  • memory would not be involved in this case. (you would still get a minidump)
  • you are looking at a issue with the port. the drive disconnects and does not reconnect within the timeout.
  • it could be the port, the cable, the system telling the drive to go to sleep and not getting the signal to wake the drive
(set the system to run in high power mode to check for this) you can also start cmd.exe as an admin then run
pnputil.exe /energy
this will generate a report that you can copy to a new location then read.
  • you can have ssd firmware that needs to be updated
  • you might need to install bios update and the motherboard sata drivers and CPU chipset updates.
on some ssd the firmware can have issues if you put the drive to sleep too fast. when the system goes idle the firmware kicks in after 5 minutes to run its various routines, if you put the drive to sleep at 5 minutest then the firmware can get so backed up that it blocks access to the drive.
anyway, you might want to boot up the ssd into your machine bios and leave if powered on for a few hours this should give a ssd time to run its firmware and clear up any issues. After this I would check the ssd firmware version (if you can) and see if it needs a update.

I had one asus motherboard that would disconnect all of the sata ports every 30 minutes. Ended up sending it back and the replacement just worked fine.
in that case it would disconnect the port but would never reconnect until you power cycled the machine.

Nov 30, 2020
-the only way the power supply would be involved would be due to a bad power cable connection.
  • memory would not be involved in this case. (you would still get a minidump)
  • you are looking at a issue with the port. the drive disconnects and does not reconnect within the timeout.
  • it could be the port, the cable, the system telling the drive to go to sleep and not getting the signal to wake the drive
(set the system to run in high power mode to check for this) you can also start cmd.exe as an admin then run
pnputil.exe /energy
this will generate a report that you can copy to a new location then read.
  • you can have ssd firmware that needs to be updated
  • you might need to install bios update and the motherboard sata drivers and CPU chipset updates.
on some ssd the firmware can have issues if you put the drive to sleep too fast. when the system goes idle the firmware kicks in after 5 minutes to run its various routines, if you put the drive to sleep at 5 minutest then the firmware can get so backed up that it blocks access to the drive.
anyway, you might want to boot up the ssd into your machine bios and leave if powered on for a few hours this should give a ssd time to run its firmware and clear up any issues. After this I would check the ssd firmware version (if you can) and see if it needs a update.

I had one asus motherboard that would disconnect all of the sata ports every 30 minutes. Ended up sending it back and the replacement just worked fine.
in that case it would disconnect the port but would never reconnect until you power cycled the machine.
I switched the sata cable and port (there's only two), turned it on, event viewer even showed a kernel error on startup but nothing happened, installed adata firmware and right now it's running a very long quick scan.
An additional question i have, if you don't mind answering, is that my cpu stock rate should be 3.7 mghz as I read, but my idle is always 4.3-4.5 with mobo having newest bios and every setting on default. Should I be concerned? Because I have quite a weak cooler and I really have no urge to overclock.
Update:
After an hour+ of running mhw and other basic programs, it seems to be working fine. I turned on the sata hot plug aswell. And after applying the adata software "boost" the disk usually idles at 0÷, where as before it would be from 2-5%.
Gonna go to sleep now but hopefully tomorrow it'll keep this way up. At this point I'm incredibly happy and paranoid at the same time.

Last edited:
here is intel tech info on your cpu:
Intel® Core™ i5-9600K Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.60 GHz) Product Specifications

the base clock rate should be 3.7 Ghz and the turbo frequency is up to 4.6Ghz
the CPU launched Q4'18
you just want to make sure your BIOS is updated to after that date so that it will have the proper frequency tables for your CPU.
Same goes for any overclocking software.
mainly it should be fine and is just some bios setting for intel speed step or intel turbo something and it can be disabled in the BIOS if you really want to. (it should be fine)

generally you would only get problems when a intel reduces the voltage on a new cpu part and the bios does not have the bios updates for the new cpu so it applies the voltage for a older cpu that too high for the clock rate and you start to get a lot of bugcheck 0x124 because of it.

the new cpu, should move the clock rate in relation to the cpu temps also so it should just not be a problem

Nov 30, 2020
here is intel tech info on your cpu:
Intel® Core™ i5-9600K Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.60 GHz) Product Specifications

the base clock rate should be 3.7 Ghz and the turbo frequency is up to 4.6Ghz
the CPU launched Q4'18
you just want to make sure your BIOS is updated to after that date so that it will have the proper frequency tables for your CPU.
Same goes for any overclocking software.
mainly it should be fine and is just some bios setting for intel speed step or intel turbo something and it can be disabled in the BIOS if you really want to. (it should be fine)

generally you would only get problems when a intel reduces the voltage on a new cpu part and the bios does not have the bios updates for the new cpu so it applies the voltage for a older cpu that too high for the clock rate and you start to get a lot of bugcheck 0x124 because of it.

the new cpu, should move the clock rate in relation to the cpu temps also so it should just not be a problem
Okey. Everything seems to be up to date. But it's weird to me because when its idle, everythings normal, but when I try and play a demanding game, the fan starts working extremely loud, and the machines side panel gets unusual warm just after 30 min or so. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but for the sake of my sanity I'm gonna disable the intel turbo setting :d.

your cpu should be ok.

my nvidia card from MSI runs the fans too slow, i have to run their tool and set the fans to always run at 100% speed when there is any type or real load on the GPU. otherwise the temp really spikes up and the card overheats. this can lead to circuit traces cracking on the GPU board. you can end up with screen artifacts when this happens. (like a single pixel width line running down your screen that can not be removed until you replace the video card) I have one on my screen right now because of this.

Solution
Nov 30, 2020
your cpu should be ok.

my nvidia card from MSI runs the fans too slow, i have to run their tool and set the fans to always run at 100% speed when there is any type or real load on the GPU. otherwise the temp really spikes up and the card overheats. this can lead to circuit traces cracking on the GPU board. you can end up with screen artifacts when this happens. (like a single pixel width line running down your screen that can not be removed until you replace the video card) I have one on my screen right now because of this.
Ehh, thats sound incredibly annoying.
Because I had a very slow pc, and everything had to run on ultra low setting just for it to work im used to bad graphics, so I really have no intention of having better performance as is, everything feels really smooth.
When I run games I always have cpuz open on the side, and after turning off the intel cpu boost everything seems perfectly normal, as before I guess the gpu tried to catch up to the cpu and got hot aswell causing the fans to go berserk (that's my guess, I don't know enough).
Oh and more importantly, thank you, sincerely. Everything works perfectly now, and after using the pc for the entire day (quarantine) not a single problem arose. Thank you for your time wasted with me. And I can't thank you enough.