Question BSOD Video TDR Failure (atikmpag.sys) AMD r9 380

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Hi everyone. I've been getting this BSOD for 2 years so I'm pretty sure it is not the AMD's driver bug. The pattern is clear everytime I install a new driver it either happens the next day or the next minute referring tot the BSOD of video TDR failure. I've tried pretty much everything from using the DDU, completely delete my AMD folder, ran SFC and nothing had solved it. Is my GPU faulty cause during the first year it never happened. My GPU is an r9 380 (4gb Vram) running on the latest update of windows 10. The only thing I have not tried is updating the bios but I'm not sure how safe that would be. I'm really lost here any solution?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you only get 1 BSOD each time you update drivers, and it works fine until next update? As I wouldn't update if the driver works fine.

I would expect if card is faulty it would happen way more often than just when you update drivers.

what are specs of the PC?

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
It happens after I update the driver. Usually in game but sometimes when Im watching youtube as well.
The specs:
Cpu: i5 6600k didnt overclocked
RAM: 12GB DD4
HDD: 125 gb ssd for Os booting and 4 tb hdd for storage

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard?
12gb is an unusual amount, is extra 4gb 2 x 2gb or 1 x 4gb?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
B
what motherboard?
12gb is an unusual amount, is extra 4gb 2 x 2gb or 1 x 4gb?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
Alright Ill definitely do it once the next BSOD occurs

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://dermatoiddunker.htmlpasta.com/

File information:040220-8875-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 02:13:19)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3P-rev-10
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You have the first BIOS available for the system (F2) installed. The latest is F22g. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master

gardenman

Splendid
Since "atikmpag.sys" crashed, try a clean install of your video card drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you read op's 1st post. Its always been same error and he has done that before
Hi everyone. I've been getting this BSOD for 2 years so I'm pretty sure it is not the AMD's driver bug. The pattern is clear everytime I install a new driver it either happens the next day or the next minute referring tot the BSOD of video TDR failure. I've tried pretty much everything from using the DDU, completely delete my AMD folder, ran SFC and nothing had solved it. Is my GPU faulty cause during the first year it never happened. My GPU is an r9 380 (4gb Vram) running on the latest update of windows 10. The only thing I have not tried is updating the bios but I'm not sure how safe that would be. I'm really lost here any solution?
So we know its the ATI drivers, I want to see if updating to newest BIOS changes anything.

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Did you read op's 1st post. Its always been same error and he has done that before

So we know its the ATI drivers, I want to see if updating to newest BIOS changes anything.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I'm just really scared of updating the BIOS so yeah in answering your question regarding the RAM yep there are 2 seperate brand RAM.

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014

Updated my BIOS and my driver. Sadly still having the same issue at this point is it probably hardware related?

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Try buying two same ram modules or just use one stick for boot and try that out to see.
Yeah maybe the ram is the culprit here Ive tried enabling the profile xmp on BIOS maybe that will change something. Though I'm going to have to wait till I update my GPU driver to see if the problem persists.