[SOLVED] Building computer for the first time. Won't stay powered on

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello,

I ordered parts to build a computer. I verified all the components works with each other before ordering via pc part picker and even found the same build on a YouTube Video. I built it with a computer tech person but both him and I have never built computers before. Here is the issue and I have to say I don't believe any parts are broken or bad as it powered on and went to the bios screen but as soon as we hit save and exit to try to boot into windows it won't stay powered on. The USB lights no longer turn on too and there is no beeps. We did find out there is no speaker so that's probably why the beeps don't happen but we didn't change anything as far as connections go after hitting save and exit. I also have a fresh install of Windows 10 on an SSD that I'm trying to boot up. The OS boots fine on another system but we can't even get the bios screen to show up anymore. We tried resetting CMOS, Removing the battery inside. Same problem. When we originally had the Bios screen working all fans were working and the temps were around 60-70 C and nothing was hot to the touch so nothing could have overheated to our knowledge.

Here are the specs of what is in the system.

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core Processor

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB 62 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

OLOy Warhawk RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Gigabyte Z590 VISION D ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (OS)

EVGA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

2X Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan

Solution
So as far as your temps go every article i have read shows the 11900k run hot. Thats just how it rolls....if it goes above 100c is where you have problems. As for the install on another computer I've never heard of this working.
You need to reformat your ssd and make a install windows media flash drive and do a fresh install on your machine.
You did install Win 10 on another computer, and then moved the SSD, as I understand ?
This is not going to cut. What happens when you try to simply boot from the Win 10 installation USB stick ?
And be sure that this USB stick is the first one in the boot order . Or simply disconnect the SSD

Hello,

I ordered parts to build a computer. I verified all the components works with each other before ordering via pc part picker and even found the same build on a YouTube Video. I built it with a computer tech person but both him and I have never built computers before. Here is the issue and I have to say I don't believe any parts are broken or bad as it powered on and went to the bios screen but as soon as we hit save and exit to try to boot into windows it won't stay powered on. The USB lights no longer turn on too and there is no beeps. We did find out there is no speaker so that's probably why the beeps don't happen but we didn't change anything as far as connections go after hitting save and exit. I also have a fresh install of Windows 10 on an SSD that I'm trying to boot up. The OS boots fine on another system but we can't even get the bios screen to show up anymore. We tried resetting CMOS, Removing the battery inside. Same problem. When we originally had the Bios screen working all fans were working and the temps were around 60-70 C and nothing was hot to the touch so nothing could have overheated to our knowledge.

Here are the specs of what is in the system.

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core Processor

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB 62 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

OLOy Warhawk RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Gigabyte Z590 VISION D ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (OS)

EVGA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

2X Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan

60 - 70C temps when in the bios is not good (especially with a large liquid cooler like that). I wonder if your cooler wasn't correctly installed? Firstly with that type of cooler you need to power both the pump and the fans on separate headers on the motherboard. Also you need to make sure that the base of the cooler is making good and even contact with the top of the cpu and that thermal compound has been applied (many coolers come with some pre-applied to the bottom). If the temp climbed too high, or if the fan / pump isn't connected the motherboard may prevent boot to protect the various components.

If all the above is ok, next thing to try is booting with a single stick of ram, if the board is struggling to configure the ram correctly it may not post. Try with one stick, if it still doesn't work try the other, you can also try different slots.

You mention you have tried resetting the cmos / pulling the cmos battery - have you tried disconnecting the PSU from the mains for a few minutes? The ATX power-supply will provide standby power to the main board whilst plugged in, so you need to fully unplug the machine and leave it for a few mins to make sure all the capacitors in the supply / on the motherboard fully discharge to get a true 'cold boot', then try again.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
60 - 70C temps when in the bios is not good (especially with a large liquid cooler like that). I wonder if your cooler wasn't correctly installed? Firstly with that type of cooler you need to power both the pump and the fans on separate headers on the motherboard. Also you need to make sure that the base of the cooler is making good and even contact with the top of the cpu and that thermal compound has been applied (many coolers come with some pre-applied to the bottom). If the temp climbed too high, or if the fan / pump isn't connected the motherboard may prevent boot to protect the various components.

If all the above is ok, next thing to try is booting with a single stick of ram, if the board is struggling to configure the ram correctly it may not post. Try with one stick, if it still doesn't work try the other, you can also try different slots.

You mention you have tried resetting the cmos / pulling the cmos battery - have you tried disconnecting the PSU from the mains for a few minutes? The ATX power-supply will provide standby power to the main board whilst plugged in, so you need to fully unplug the machine and leave it for a few mins to make sure all the capacitors in the supply / on the motherboard fully discharge to get a true 'cold boot', then try again.

Can you explain how 60-70 C temps aren't good when my gaming computer I bought from BestBuy runs up to 80C? Not sure i'm understanding. When I googled optimum running temps of computer I get it's anywhere from 75-90 C. I have not tried disconnecting the PSU.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
You did install Win 10 on another computer, and then moved the SSD, as I understand ?
This is not going to cut. What happens when you try to simply boot from the Win 10 installation USB stick ?
And be sure that this USB stick is the first one in the boot order . Or simply disconnect the SSD

That makes no sense. I can boot windows 10 from the same SSD via a laptop with an SSD inserted into a drive dock just fine. So why wouldn't it work on a new system?

"Can you explain how 60-70 C temps aren't good when my gaming computer "

cdrkf said "60 - 70C temps when in the bios is not good "

IN THE BIOS

In the Bios the CPU shouldn't be doing much of anything.....so 60-70C temps when the CPU isn't hardly doing anything isn't good.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
"Can you explain how 60-70 C temps aren't good when my gaming computer "

cdrkf said "60 - 70C temps when in the bios is not good "

IN THE BIOS

In the Bios the CPU shouldn't be doing much of anything.....so 60-70C temps when the CPU isn't hardly doing anything isn't good.

How do I cool down the CPU then?

It finally booted this morning and showed the temps running hot again. So it does seem like it's overheating but how do I cool it down?

How do I cool down the CPU then?

It finally booted this morning and showed the temps running hot again. So it does seem like it's overheating but how do I cool it down?
Is the fan spinning on the CPU cooler?
If so.....usually either the cooler isn't snug on the CPU.....the fan curve isn't correct.....or the cooler is just too small for the application.
You could also try running with the case open and see what happens.
Also....you need to do a clean install with a new MB. You are asking for problems if you are trying to use an OS that was installed on another machine.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Is the fan spinning on the CPU cooler?
If so.....usually either the cooler isn't snug on the CPU.....the fan curve isn't correct.....or the cooler is just too small for the application.
You could also try running with the case open and see what happens.
Also....you need to do a clean install with a new MB. You are asking for problems if you are trying to use an OS that was installed on another machine.

okay thanks. I will do a clean install eventually but I'm confused why it's an issue to try to boot into windows once the temps are fixed with the current OS as a test. Like I said I have booted into windows using a Drive dock connected to my laptop with no problems from the same SSD which was on an older system.

"I'm confused why it's an issue to try to boot into windows once the temps are fixed with the current OS as a test. "

Strange things can happen when you boot into an OS that was installed on another system.

Even if you booted once fine.....it doesn't mean anything.

The CPU running hotter in BIOS is normal, because there's nothing telling the CPU to go into a lower power state. BIOS is not going to do power management because it's just extra stuff that isn't really needed, and worse, could be detrimental as far as basic diagnostics go.

Similarly the AIO will be running under its default settings, which may not be optimal for your CPU in a higher power state, because BIOS doesn't know how to talk to it.

Jun 29, 2021
So as far as your temps go every article i have read shows the 11900k run hot. Thats just how it rolls....if it goes above 100c is where you have problems. As for the install on another computer I've never heard of this working.
You need to reformat your ssd and make a install windows media flash drive and do a fresh install on your machine.

Solution