can cpu keep a pc from turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
okay, first, i want to make it clear that i mean powering on and not post or boot. do not say a dead cpu will keep a pc from posting or booting sherlock. okay, here is my issue. i have bought now 3 boards. 2 i thought was dead on arrivial (one is for a fact) and i bought a used one because i knew that meant it was tested. it came in today, plugged everything in correctly and no power at all. the power supply is tested. this is the same thing as i was experienceing with the other boards. a couple years ago i had an old AM3+ board and processor. processor was dead but the board still powered on. can it still happen that a dead cpu will stop a board from powering on?

stdragon

Admirable
Yes, you can turn on the MB without the CPU. The case fans will spin..etc. But it wont boot to BIOS for obvious reasons.

In your specific situation, I still suspect that PSU is faulty. It might not be a complete failure, rather a partial failure with one of the voltage rails.

stdragon

Admirable

A bad power switch on the case perhaps? Carefully, use a screwdriver to short out the power switch pins on the MB. If that works, it's safe to assume you've got a bad physical momentary switch.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
no, ive tried 2 different switches and screw. if only that was the case, it wouldnt cost money. if that the only 2 things it can be then i guess i need a need PSU. thank you.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
got a new power supply. it turned on 1 out of 3 of my boards. so, i put the board and the powersupply in the case and nothing. i tested it with a screwdriver too and still nothing. everything is plugged in correctly and clean. wtf? why is it that this Ryzen computer hates me?

stdragon

Admirable
OK, that's just whacked! So, let's start from the top. List all hardware components that you're using for this PC build. List the model of case, hardware, anything else. Let's start there.

Also, just to confirm a few things. When you placed the CPU, power supply, and motherboard outside the case, were you able to turn it on? Assuming it's placed on a non-conductive table (glass, or wood) or something else.

If the answer is "No", have you tried another outlet in the room or another area of the home? Just to rule out any bad electrical wiring and all that.

If the Answer is "Yes", and it fails after mounting it in your case, perhaps you can take photos of the inside of your case as well; specifically with the motherboard out so we can see what standoffs you have in there.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
alright, the owrking parts are MSI A320M - Grenade, DDr4 Gskil Ageius 8gb 1stick, EVGA 600 watt PSU (new), AMD Ryzen 5 1500x. case is DIYPC D480-W-RGB

i did not test the motherboard with the CPU inside while outside the case. but the PSU and motherboard powered on while outside the case. ill try to see if i can get the picture soom so i can go to sleep

stdragon

Admirable
Just to get some good news out of the way. Per the MB manual...

EZ Debug LED: Debug LED indicators
CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail

What this means is that even if your CPU wasn't installed, the MB at least should power on and display a CPU fault in the EZ Debug LED. The fact it's completely dead without indication tells me it's purely a power related issue, and not a bad CPU.

So to confirm what you said - Both the PSU and MB powered on outside the case. However, once the PSU, MB, and CPU are together in the case, nothing happens?

Ok, so believe it or not, this IS progress...so far.

To verify, you did connect both PSU connectors to the MB in all instances (CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1), yes? I'm 99% sure you did, but I'm asking anyways for my own sanity.

Try connecting the PSU, MB, CPU, and then power it on OUTSIDE the case. If that works, then there's something going on with the interaction of your setup and that case. We've already established that manually power on the MB via jumper (tip of screw driver) does nothing. So, it's not the case switch.

Should the above situation hold true in that everything powers up and works outside the case, the next step is to remount the hardware back inside the case. Do not connect any case cables to it other than the power switch. If that does nothing, unplug the case power switch and then attempt to jumper the power leads manually on the MB with the tip of a screwdriver. It should only be a momentary contact, do NOT press and leave it there.

stdragon

Admirable

Isopropyl alcohol and a soft (preferably used and clean) toothbrush. This will help dissolve the paste while minimizing damaging the pins via bending them (because that would be "bad").

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you had paste on the pins, you had paste in the socket. Good news is pastes for the most part are not electrically conductive, so the chances that you shorted out the cpu are slim. The bad news is pastes for the most part are not electrically conductive, so of there's paste inside the socket, it can create an insulating layer between the pin and socket connection. Kinda like putting on a latex glove. You'll need to clean the socket as well, and thats the sucky part as you shouldn't use any alcohol. I'd recommend using disposable rubbery-plastic toothpicks. On the cpu make sure all the pins are perfectly straight.

stdragon

Admirable

If recall reading correctly, he's already been through several MBs. It's hard to imagine enough residue left on the PINs to contaminate socket after socket.

I'm not discounting the possibility, but at this point, it's highly unlikely.

Then again, it's also highly unlikely to be a CPU failure....but here we are with this post. In my 20+ years of building computers, I've only ran into a bad CPU one time. ONCE! That's all! I mean, I hear and read about such things all the time. But to actually having been involved working with someone to identify an actual failed CPU...that's just uber rare for me! I guess this would make it #2. :ouch:

stdragon

Admirable
@ryley_

I'm thinking at this point it's time to call it all the way to top, time to contact AMD and request an RMA for a replacement. But before you do, see if you can borrow a used CPU that's compatible with that MB. If it works, you might need it to perform a BIOS update. It's unlikely it will work because you're not even getting power to it. However, at least you've exhausted all attempts.

The link to start an RMA is here https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma

However, be sure to review these steps first before proceeding. https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/pib
Scroll down to each page to proceed to the next steps thereafter.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
i cant return the CPU becuase its a year old, i have returned one of the boards tho. i also contacted AMD for anything they can think of. i havent had a processor keep a board from powering and i have had to deal with a dead CPU befire. it just kept it from posting

stdragon

Admirable

Really?! Who told you that? According to AMD it's a 3 year warranty period for PIB (Processor In a Box) retail chips.

If the 1 year is per the retail store you bought it from, that's one thing. However, AMD has a different warranty period per the link below.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma/terms/pib

However, if the CPU came as an OEM bundle already mounted to the MB, well, AMD won't warranty it. It must go through the re-seller. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) examples include, but not limited too, HP, DELL, Lenovo, ASUS laptops, and so forth.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've been building/tinkering/modding pc's for about 38 years, my first experiments being on a Commodore Vic-20 back in 1980. And this would make cpu failure #3 (not counting morons destroying pins etc in 'let's build a pc while drunk or stoned' attempts). Typically the cpu is the single hardest component in a pc to kill because there's no moving parts, nothing user accessible, no capacitors or burnable resistors etc, and costs so much that generally ppl handle them with kid gloves. That's not to mention all the circuitry on a mobo that has to survive in order to allow a spike or other voltage/amperage through. It's a 'set it and forget it' component that's almost never removed from the socket for the life of the pc.

So yeah, consider it exponentially rare for a cpu to die all on its own.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
there needs to be a better way to contact AMD because emailing them is SOOO SLLOOWWWW i have gotten 2 replies in the past week from tech support and not a single replay for the warrenty

Status
Not open for further replies.