Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
I haven’t diagnosed the problem yet I just bought a bunch of new parts. Although, my new motherboard, cpu, and psu won’t boot up with my old gpu, but my new gpu boots up.

my questions
If I want to test my old gpu in the new motherboard, are there any risks to damage to the new motherboard, if for example, the gpu is bad?

can a bad gpu shock or kill a new motherboard with uncontrolled random bursts of voltage or anything similar?

thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I haven’t diagnosed the problem yet I just bought a bunch of new parts. Although, my new motherboard, cpu, and psu won’t boot up with my old gpu, but my new gpu boots up.

my questions
If I want to test my old gpu in the new motherboard, are there any risks to damage to the new motherboard, if for example, the gpu is bad?

can a bad gpu shock or kill a new motherboard with uncontrolled random bursts of voltage or anything similar?

thanks
You need to give us a FULL list of ALL parts involved.
Old and new. Make/model of everything.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
And above and beyond the what everything is, are you aware of any event that might have caused damage and led to this replacement? For instance, the system took a voltage spike and I had to replace "x" and now while testing "y"...

Or was this an upgrade and now y doesn't work with x?

Unless full and open documentation of all involved parts can be analyzed, it will be impossible to perform any real risk analysis of secondary damage from shorted components.

This means - even if extreme rarely - it cannot be completely ruled out that a short circuit in GPU may damage the otherboard in the process. That is because a short in GPU may be feed from voltage regulator on motherboard, or there may occur short between power feed to any of the internal pcb tracks that normally accommodate data traffic. In either case, secondary damage may occur.

Actual example from work: Network equipment went bad and caused secondary damage to network equipment at other end of a network cable.

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
And above and beyond the what everything is, are you aware of any event that might have caused damage and led to this replacement? For instance, the system took a voltage spike and I had to replace "x" and now while testing "y"...

Or was this an upgrade and now y doesn't work with x?

asus anti surge was triggered over and over again causing it to restart each time. Replaced psu didn’t work, replaced mobo (asus strix z590 e) cpu(i5 11400) (since couldn’t find a socket 1150 motherboard) and new ram ddr4 corsair.
Turns out when I unplug my 980ti from the new mobo it boots. So I wanna test new gpu in old motherboard. But if faulty mobo I don’t want to ruin this gpu I plan on returning

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
Unless full and open documentation of all involved parts can be analyzed, it will be impossible to perform any real risk analysis of secondary damage from shorted components.

This means - even if extreme rarely - it cannot be completely ruled out that a short circuit in GPU may damage the otherboard in the process. That is because a short in GPU may be feed from voltage regulator on motherboard, or there may occur short between power feed to any of the internal pcb tracks that normally accommodate data traffic. In either case, secondary damage may occur.

Actual example from work: Network equipment went bad and caused secondary damage to network equipment at other end of a network cable.

map how can I diagnose if the mobo was bad or the gpu? Or cpu. I wanna test new gpu on old mobo but don’t wanna damage new gpu I plan on returning

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
You need to give us a FULL list of ALL parts involved.
Old and new. Make/model of everything.

Old:
980ti evga
I7 4790k
500gb ssd and 2 tb? Hdd
Z97a motherboard
Evga supernova? Psu 850w

newish:
980ti (old)
I5 1400 with stock cooler just hit 93 degrees max temp and 9999 score cinebench btw 93 degrees seems hot…
Zotac 3050
Same drives
Strix z590-e mobo
New psu 750w Evga supernova I think I know it’s good standard

map how can I diagnose if the mobo was bad or the gpu? Or cpu.
Replace one (gpu is the easiest). If it works afterwards you probably replaced the bad component.

I wanna test new gpu on old mobo but don’t wanna damage new gpu I plan on returning
Is there a history not yet told here that leads you to believe the motherboard cause gpu being damaged ?

USAFRet

Titan
Old:
980ti evga
I7 4790k
500gb ssd and 2 tb? Hdd
Z97a motherboard
Evga supernova? Psu 850w

newish:
980ti (old)
I5 1400 with stock cooler just hit 93 degrees max temp and 9999 score cinebench btw 93 degrees seems hot…
Zotac 3050
Same drives
Strix z590-e mobo
New psu 750w Evga supernova I think I know it’s good standard
You did do a fresh OS install with this new hardware, correct?

Usually, this will not happen, never heard of it, not really. There are multiple security measurements to prevent things like this.
While there are multiple protection mechanisms in circuits to prevent problems, the only protect it at that level and not further down.

For instance, if you have a PSU with say a maximum current of 100A on a 12V rail, assuming the other components are only taking 20A, you can still feed 79A into a single part and the PSU will happily keep going because it's not in the OCP trip range.

Some video cards do have fuses at the PEG inputs, but I'm not sure if it's common practice to put it on every video card.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
You did do a fresh OS install with this new hardware, correct?

i don’t know what happened. I made a bootable drive, went to install it and I clicked “Don’t have a key”

it wouldn’t let me partition anything because I was in ufei?

so after a reboot to change to cms, it all of a sudden booted to my regular windows desktop. And now at the bottom right it says “Go to settings to get windows”

I had windows prior to this, I never fully went through with the fresh install.
Everything seems running fine but doesn’t seem i have windows 10 anymore. (Paid version)

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
Replace one (gpu is the easiest). If it works afterwards you probably replaced the bad component.

Is there a history not yet told here that leads you to believe the motherboard cause gpu being damaged ?

Aside from what I already mentioned. Asus motherboard anti surge protection was being triggered by something. I though bad psu but after replacing psu old gpu wouldn’t boot until I switched with a new one. Just wanna check if my gpu still works, or if my old mobo/cpu still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.