Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
Hi i have found a server with some good specs (1600 watts, 12 cores 24mb cache 2.40ghz, 72gb 1033mhz,5tb of storage) and i have a rx 480 the server i am loooking at has a power cable for my gpu so that would not be a worry i know i can get windows 10 on it i just came here to ask if it is a good system and if i can game on it

Solution
Sounds like a Xeon from the specs. Great CPU for processing lots of data coming in from multiple sources. Terrible (relatively speaking) at running games that want fast cores (e.g. most games). A modern gaming CPU is going to be running almost twice the clock speed with half the cores (or less) for a great gaming experience.

There was a time when the Xeons were on par with their i5/i7 counterparts (I think it was 4th / 5th generation) but current Xeons, despite having more cores, are definitely not meant to be gaming CPUs.

Since I am in the US and don't know about what stores in your country have available, I will defer that to someone else.

This thread can help...

USAFRet

Titan
Hi i have found a server with some good specs (1600 watts, 12 cores 24mb cache 2.40ghz, 72gb 1033mhz,5tb of storage) and i have a rx 480 the server i am loooking at has a power cable for my gpu so that would not be a worry i know i can get windows 10 on it i just came here to ask if it is a good system and if i can game on it
What specific CPU?
What specific "server"?

Just because it says 'server', does not mean it is good for all uses, or even especially powerful.

Sounds like a Xeon from the specs. Great CPU for processing lots of data coming in from multiple sources. Terrible (relatively speaking) at running games that want fast cores (e.g. most games). A modern gaming CPU is going to be running almost twice the clock speed with half the cores (or less) for a great gaming experience.

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
Yes it is a Xeon

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
Is 2.40 GHz not fast enough if so I can overclock my current CPU is on a quad core 2.40ghz

Wolfshadw

Titan
Still dont understand what you were meaning by this

He means, you want a sports car (the 370Z), but you find a pick up truck (F-150). Can you use the F-150 as a sports car? You can try, but I wouldn't expect great results.

Similarly, you want a gaming PC, but you find a server. Can you use the server as a gaming PC? You can try, but I wouldn't expect great results.

-Wolf sends

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
The model number doesn't matter, and it won't overclock very much due to the overhead of the chip. You would also need a riser card to connect a video card, and that model may or may not have the power connections you need. Get something else.
I have sorted out the riser card problem and same with power I would also be liquid cooling it with a kit I have lying around

g-unit1111

Titan

There was a time when the Xeons were on par with their i5/i7 counterparts (I think it was 4th / 5th generation) but current Xeons, despite having more cores, are definitely not meant to be gaming CPUs.

Since I am in the US and don't know about what stores in your country have available, I will defer that to someone else.

This thread can help:

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
The CPU is a Intel Xeon E5645
And the server is a IBM x3650 m3
That is a 9 year old CPU. Games are sensitive to single threaded performance. A 9 year old CPU can't compete with current CPUs. Will it work, yes if you have Windows PRO since dual socket motherboards REQUIRE it. Will it be great? No. Will you be able to water cool it? Maybe, maybe not. Server motherboards are very picky about fan speeds and airflows.

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019

This thread can help:

right i have found a vid (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viq1bSJHyAM
) which compares the xeon im getting to a i7 and at some points the xeon did better ! in multi thread and fps all over 150 which my gpu wont do haha