[SOLVED] Can I install higher frequency ram than what my motherboard supports

Oct 3, 2021
Guys please help me out
I have a laptop HP 14-am519tu.. online websites shows that it supports DDR4 RAM upto 2333 mhz.
I have bought 2666 mhz ram online https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08C56KXQJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_1TD433YK8STGF54HGMJP

As fas as I have searched online, it says 2666mhz will work in 2333mhz motherboard. Will it really work guys..?? I am buying 2 sticks of 8gb to have 16gb ram in my laptop.

Will I face any problem if I use 2666 mhz ram in 2333mhz motherboard..??

Solution
BIOS update before installing new RAM specially when not bought from the original vendor like HP in your case or its authorized service center is recommended. Sometimes there might be some incompatibilities between board and RAM and BIOS update ideally improves such RAM compatibilities and also fixes any other known bugs or limitations.

However BIOS update is a bit risky process. If there’s any glitch in the process like some hang or crash or power loss etc then you may end up bricking the board and then in most cases taking it to service center is the only option.

What I suggest is that since you have a bootable system with existing RAM, just go ahead and replace it with new RAM. If system boots, is functioning normally, there are...

Lutfij

Titan
The maximum frequency that your laptop(and your processor) will go is DDR4-2133MHz, so even if you did decide to drop in DDR4-3200MHz sticks of rams, they will all run at DDR4-2133MHz. If the cost of DDR4-2666MHz is cheaper for you, then a DDR4-2133MHz kit, then you can go for the higher frequency ram but please keep in mind not to mix and match sticks of ram(old+new) for the sake of reliability.

You should make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version prior to the ram upgrade.

Oct 3, 2021
The maximum frequency that your laptop(and your processor) will go is DDR4-2133MHz, so even if you did decide to drop in DDR4-3200MHz sticks of rams, they will all run at DDR4-2133MHz. If the cost of DDR4-2666MHz is cheaper for you, then a DDR4-2133MHz kit, then you can go for the higher frequency ram but please keep in mind not to mix and match sticks of ram(old+new) for the sake of reliability.

You should make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version prior to the ram upgrade.
@Lutfij Thank you so much sir for replying. So I will not have any problem using 2666 mhz ram in 2333 mhz motherboard ?? 2666 mhz costs me INR 2600 and 2333 mhz costs me INR 4500.

About updating the bios, I searched about it online and everywhere and even on HP website it's written that don't update bios if you are not facing any problem. Also update only if you are very experienced with it as if you go wrong you might end up bricking your laptop. So after reading this I am really scared of updating my BIOS. What do you suggest. What should I do.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
BIOS update before installing new RAM specially when not bought from the original vendor like HP in your case or its authorized service center is recommended. Sometimes there might be some incompatibilities between board and RAM and BIOS update ideally improves such RAM compatibilities and also fixes any other known bugs or limitations.

However BIOS update is a bit risky process. If there’s any glitch in the process like some hang or crash or power loss etc then you may end up bricking the board and then in most cases taking it to service center is the only option.

What I suggest is that since you have a bootable system with existing RAM, just go ahead and replace it with new RAM. If system boots, is functioning normally, there are no hangs crashes or any other issues, you are good to go. Else then go back to old RAM, boot, update BIOS and then install new RAM and check again.

As user @Lutfij has already explained, 2666 shall downclock to 2133. That’s the basic principle. It should automatically downclock and work at supported frequencies by the system. However only in some rare cases you might have compatibility issues.

On my old Sony VAIO, I even took a risk or mixing two different RAMs and even in that case it actually worked, but as user @Lutfij has stated, avoid mixing RAM of different capacities, vendor, frequencies like.

Edit-----

In very rare cases after installing new RAM, you might have a system that does not POST. It powers on and just shows a backlit black display, nothing else. Sometimes it's simply because or stick not firmly sitting in the slot or sometimes even just cleaning the pin contacts and socket with IPA cleaner solves this issue. Just in case you face any such issues. If not, all good.

Last edited:
Solution