johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
I've been using the same installation of Windows 10 Home for over 4 years, but for the last month my PC has been doing all sorts of annoying things like random crashes and blue screens and stuff, so I'm thinking about reinstalling Windows and this time I want to install Windows 10 Pro. I only have one question.. will my storage drive with my personal files and games still be readable after installing a different version of Windows 10?

Last edited:
Solution
Assuming you don't do a clean install of Pro, yes. It will be fine.

Upgrading from Home to Pro can be as easy as just entering a valid Pro license.
Pro gives you no performance benefit, though. Just some extra corporate level features.

But, since your system is currently acting up, a clean install is probably needed. Either Home or Pro.
In that case...any applications on the other drive will NOT be usable. Steam games, and your personal files, yes.

For Steam games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

USAFRet

Titan

Pro gives you no performance benefit, though. Just some extra corporate level features.

But, since your system is currently acting up, a clean install is probably needed. Either Home or Pro.
In that case...any applications on the other drive will NOT be usable. Steam games, and your personal files, yes.

For Steam games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Reactions: johnx125
Solution

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017

For Steam games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
So if I do a clean install of Windows 10, all my files (photos, videos etc.) in the storage drive will be fine regardless of which version of Windows 10 I install, right?

Last edited: