[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my graphics card on this PC?

denisss5

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019
I currently have a HP Pavilion PC with an integrated AMD radeon vega 8 graphics card and my motherboard is called the 'sunflower'. I am wondering if i can upgrade to a better graphics card and how can i tell. Cheers

Solution
2200g and integrated vega 8 graphics is a nice combination.
You may be cpu limited or graphics limited.

If you are looking for better gaming, first run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think you can benefit from a stronger graphics card, you will have a problem.
There are no graphics card stronger than your vega 8 integrated graphics that will run on less than the 75w max capability of your x16 slot.
A card like a GTX1650 is about the strongest that would run on 75w.

Then, also, you have a problem with the case.
It does...

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
The board will take a graphics card but you have to check the size of your case & the wattage on the power supply.

When you open the case's door the power supply should have a sticker on the side that specifies the wattage.

As for case size you could post a picture of it or send the model of the computer and I could check what graphics card can fit in it

denisss5

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019
The board will take a graphics card but you have to check the size of your case & the wattage on the power supply.

When you open the case's door the power supply should have a sticker on the side that specifies the wattage.

As for case size you could post a picture of it or send the model of the computer and I could check what graphics card can fit in it
HP Pavilion 590-p0030na

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
HP Pavilion 590-p0030na
Hard to find specs on this but from what I found it has a 150 watt power supply, you will have to upgrade the power supply in order to get a new graphics card in there, that means unplugging all the wires for it and installing a new one and plugging them back in, there's plenty of videos out there that can help you with that too if you still want to do it.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Bad news: your computer has only a 4 pin power connector. This means you can't upgrade the power supply. The good news (somewhat) is that they didn't limit the PCIe power output. You can also upgrade the cpu up to a R7 2700.
You will need a custom adapter, but it's likely hard to find one, since HP doesn't publish their custom pinouts. I believe that them may have also modified the 5vsb voltage to 12vsb. It's anyway kind of risky and not recommendable.
I don't know why HP is cheaping out so much by not using standard power connectors. I get that they do this so customers need tp constantly buy need computers; the thing is that they made a 6+4 pin desing (6 for power, 4 for psu to start and psu fan controll). Why do they have to implement another suspicious desing with even less pins?! That's why some people avoid buying prebuilts anymore.

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Bad news: your computer has only a 4 pin power connector. This means you can't upgrade the power supply. The good news (somewhat) is that they didn't limit the PCIe power output. You can also upgrade the cpu up to a R7 2700.
You will need a custom adapter, but it's likely hard to find one, since HP doesn't publish their custom pinouts. I believe that them may have also modified the 5vsb voltage to 12vsb. It's anyway kind of risky and not recommendable.
I don't know why HP is cheaping out so much by not using standard power connectors. I get that they do this so customers need tp constantly buy need computers; the thing is that they made a 6+4 pin desing (6 for power, 4 for psu to start and psu fan controll). Why do they have to implement another suspicious desing with even less pins?! That's why some people avoid buying prebuilts anymore.

You're right I didnt even notice the 4 pin connector, the motherboard is also a custom form factor so I dont think he can even fit a new micro atx motherboard in there if he wanted to. Unfortunately cant really do much here

USAFRet

Titan
They do that because the vast majority of people who would buy such a system will never ever upgrade any parts in it.
It works out of the box, that's all they need.
Replace in 3 years.

denisss5

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019
can i not just get another power supply with a 4 pin connector? If not then could i buy a new motherboard and new pc case and some components and then keep some components from my current pc and build like a completely new pc with some new parts and some from my current pc?

USAFRet

Titan
can i not just get another power supply with a 4 pin connector? If not then could i buy a new motherboard and new pc case and some components and then keep some components from my current pc and build like a completely new pc with some new parts and some from my current pc?
New PSU
New motherboard
New case

If you're doing all that, might as well get a new CPU and RAM.
Keep the physical drives, maybe.

Hey...a whole new PC.

Reactions: denisss5

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
if you are going to the extend of replacing motherboard, psu, gpu and case i suggest on saving for a new build. sure there are parts in your current build you could still use such as hard drive or ssd etc.

2200g and integrated vega 8 graphics is a nice combination.
You may be cpu limited or graphics limited.

If you are looking for better gaming, first run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think you can benefit from a stronger graphics card, you will have a problem.
There are no graphics card stronger than your vega 8 integrated graphics that will run on less than the 75w max capability of your x16 slot.
A card like a GTX1650 is about the strongest that would run on 75w.

Then, also, you have a problem with the case.
It does not look to me like it has any sort of airflow sufficient to support a strong graphics card.

The specs say a SFX psu. That is good, an upgraded sfx psu will mechanically fit, and I imagine that there are adapter cables to allow your motherboard to be powered.

All in all, I think it is time to consider selling your pc and building anew with your own selection of parts.

Reactions: denisss5
Solution