Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
Hello, I have a Dell G15 having two slot of Ram for Dual channel configuration. My system already has preinstalled with 4 + 4 that is 8 GB of total ram (having 1r x 16). My system can support a maximum of 32 GB (16+16)of ram.
  1. Can i install 16gb of 2rx8 ram in anyone of two slots and make them a total of 20GB? Or it will not support?
  2. If it will support, then will 16gb 2rx8 single channel will be faster or [4gb 1rx16 + 16gb 2rx8] dual channel will be faster?
  3. Will mixing memory of other rank can damage hardware?
This is my dell g15 memory specs page.

Solution
1. Says in the specs it won't support 20Gb in 2x slots, it should.

2. If you want more memory, use 2x8Gb kit or 2x16Gb kit for 16Gb or 32Gb, don't bother buying single sticks and retaining the use of a single 4Gb stick..

3. 1x16Gb + 1x4Gb = 4Gb + 4Gb run in dual channel, the remaining 12Gb is run in single channel and is only used After the dual channel is saturated. This is Flex mode, and will initially show up in cpu-z and bios as dual channel, but isn't. So for anything requiring a total system ram usage of less than 8Gb, you'll be in dual channel, but after that you'll be in single channel mode and take the performance hit.

4. Better to toss/sell old ram and replace with 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb in a single kit. Full dual channel, all...

Lutfij

Titan
Will mixing memory of other rank can damage hardware?
Mixing and matching rams can and will introduce instability in your paltform. You're advised to work with matched sticks of ram, i.e, a ram kit that's binned from the factory.

Treat ram upgrades like a pair of shoes, if you loose one shoe out of the pair, you can't go and buy one shoe to complete your pair. If you want to look at ram upgrades like tyres on a car, you're unbalancing the car with mismatched tyres. That being said, with 2 slots available on your laptop, either go with a 2x8GB DDR4-3200MHz ram kit or a 2x16GB DDR4-3200Mhz kit, the latter will mean you're maxing out on the ram.

Prior to getting your ram kit, please make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version.

+ If I were you, I'd sell the existing pair of ram after making sure the(suggested) new ram kit works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikhilniks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

2. If you want more memory, use 2x8Gb kit or 2x16Gb kit for 16Gb or 32Gb, don't bother buying single sticks and retaining the use of a single 4Gb stick..

3. 1x16Gb + 1x4Gb = 4Gb + 4Gb run in dual channel, the remaining 12Gb is run in single channel and is only used After the dual channel is saturated. This is Flex mode, and will initially show up in cpu-z and bios as dual channel, but isn't. So for anything requiring a total system ram usage of less than 8Gb, you'll be in dual channel, but after that you'll be in single channel mode and take the performance hit.

4. Better to toss/sell old ram and replace with 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb in a single kit. Full dual channel, all the time, no mix-n-match worries, factory guaranteed.

Solution

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021

4. Better to toss/sell old ram and replace with 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb in a single kit. Full dual channel, all the time, no mix-n-match worries, factory guaranteed.
I am currently learning Blender. Rendering takes too much ram (I have only 8gb). At this time I can only buy a total of 16gb ram (either 8+8 dual or 16 single). At later stage (after some months) I can buy another 16gb ram of same kind if i need it (incase blender demands ram more than 16gb). Should I
  1. Buy 8+8 now and will it be enough for basic 3d video editing purpose? Or,
  2. (i)Buy 16gb single stick and use it in only one slot and remove other two 4+4? (i.e., total 16gb)
(ii) Buy 16gb single stick and use it with one 4gb (unmatched timings) i.e total 20gb?

Also please tell me 16gb single channel will work or not (bcoz specs sheet only mention 16 + 16 dual channel can work)?

For me its look like using 16gb single stick(i.e, total 16gb) will be better for now. Also can't sell ram now bcoz laptop is under warranty.
Thank You

Last edited:

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
Will mixing memory of other rank can damage hardware?
Mixing and matching rams can and will introduce instability in your paltform. You're advised to work with matched sticks of ram, i.e, a ram kit that's binned from the factory.

Treat ram upgrades like a pair of shoes, if you loose one shoe out of the pair, you can't go and buy one shoe to complete your pair. If you want to look at ram upgrades like tyres on a car, you're unbalancing the car with mismatched tyres. That being said, with 2 slots available on your laptop, either go with a 2x8GB DDR4-3200MHz ram kit or a 2x16GB DDR4-3200Mhz kit, the latter will mean you're maxing out on the ram.

Prior to getting your ram kit, please make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version.

+ If I were you, I'd sell the existing pair of ram after making sure the(suggested) new ram kit works.
I am currently learning Blender. Rendering takes too much ram (I have only 8gb). At this time I can only buy a total of 16gb ram (either 8+8 dual or 16 single). At later stage (after some months) I can buy another 16gb ram of same kind if i need it (incase blender demands ram more than 16gb). Should I
  1. Buy 8+8 now and will it be enough for basic 3d video editing purpose? Or,
  2. (i)Buy 16gb single stick and use it in only one slot and remove other two 4+4? (i.e., total 16gb)
(ii) Buy 16gb single stick and use it with one 4gb (unmatched timings) i.e total 20gb?

Also please tell me 16gb single channel will work or not (bcoz specs sheet only mention 16 + 16 dual channel can work)?

For me its look like using 16gb single stick(i.e, total 16gb) will be better for now. Also can't sell ram now bcoz laptop is under warranty.
Thank You

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
You can try a 16GB single stick, but when you buy them in pairs as a kit, they are tested and confirmed to work as a pair. Buying a single stick and trying to add a second stick (even of the exact same part number) in the future may or may not work. Dram manufacturers have also been known to change the components that make up the ram modules as time passes. It's really best to save up until you can afford the 16X2 kit otherwise you might have issues when you try to add a second stick of ram down the line.