SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Hello all,

Currently, I have a Z390 Godlike motherboard with a Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVME SSD.

My current read/write speed is 3500MB/2700MB

I am very tempted to buy this new NVME which uses PCI-E 4.0 slots which has a higher read/write speed of 4950MB/4250MB

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-forc...570cZTB8hfgcU5NJjEoaApghEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My questions are:

1. Is the PCI-E 4.0 NVME SSD compatible with my Z390 Godlike MOBO which has PCI-E 3.0 slots?

2. If its compatible, I will most likely not get the maximum speed, so what is actually the maximum speed if I stick that PCI-E 4.0 NVME in my MOBO?

3. If I use a PCI-E 4.0 Extender and stick that into my MOBO's PCI lane, will I get the maximum speed from the PCI-E 4.0 NVME SSD?

Solution
D
it should work but won't perform at rated PCIe 4 speeds. probably just give you what you are getting, that's it. don't bother. waste of money.

you won't notice any difference anyway unless you are doing some very select things and working with HUGE files. for gaming? LOL, NO! an SATA SSD is enough.
D

Deleted member 14196

it should work but won't perform at rated PCIe 4 speeds. probably just give you what you are getting, that's it. don't bother. waste of money.

you won't notice any difference anyway unless you are doing some very select things and working with HUGE files. for gaming? LOL, NO! an SATA SSD is enough.

Solution
boot time:
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9NL1cvNzk5MTYwL29yaWdpbmFsL0Jvb3QtVGltZXMtQ2hhcnQucG5n

game load time
8661_33_best-ssd-gaming-over-120-ssds-tested.png

game-load-times-updated.png