Question Can I use splitter and router set up as access point instead of MoCA adapter

Sep 14, 2024
I have a gateway (router and modem) from my ISP that is located upstairs in the office. The home is really old and the downstairs has really bad connection via wifi. Luckily there is another coax cable from the office upstairs going downstairs to the room I would like to setup another source of wireless. I currently have a wireless mesh system but it cuts out every once in a while and doesn't perform super well. I was thinking to use a MoCA adapter downstairs since the gateway supports MoCA and connect the ethernet to the mesh system as a wired backhaul hoping to increase strength quite a bit but I also have a extra router laying around. I was running this plan through chatgpt (lmao) and it said I could just use a splitter at the ISP line in and run one line to the gateway and the one going downstairs to the router and set it up as an access point (by disabling DHCP) since the router has coax port. Would this work? Would the splitter reduce the signal too much or would this not work entirely and I would then need to purchase a MoCA adapter (which are pretty expensive for some reason).

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
If similar to the following setup, then no, it will not work.

Sep 14, 2024
If similar to the following setup, then no, it will not work.

It seems like that OP had a working setup with a coax split into two networks but I understand it may be a fluke. If so how exactly do I use the MoCA enabled gateway? It is my understanding that you only need one MoCA adapter if you have a MoCA enabled gateway.

Here is my current setup. There are two separate coax traces, one from the ISP line in and one going to a satelite that is no longer in use that goes downstairs. My plan was to undo the connection to satelilite and use that coax as internet to downstairs. How exactly do I do this with a MoCA enabled gateway? The gateway has only one coax port for line in. Wouldn't I then need a MoCA adapter going from ethernet from the gateway to the coax? But I thought I don't need a MoCA adapter on the gateway end if it is MoCA enabled. Do I need some kind of splitter?

Last edited: