[SOLVED] Can not install windows

Dec 31, 2019
Hi, I have just finished my new build and I am unable to boot from USB or DVD to install windows 10. I have disabled fast boot and secure boot and have tried a couple Windows 10 iso's on both USB and DVD, i have also tried changing the boot sequence in bios, all i get is a black screen with the flashing underscore, any ideas? I have lso tried swapping out the graphics cad with my old saphire tri-x r9 290 no luck

Specs:
Asus rampage VI extreme omega
Intel I9 -10900X
256GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance rgb pro
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2
RTX 2080TI
Corsair RMi1000W

Last edited:
Make sure you're running the 2002 BIOS...check that the 970 ssd is in the correct slot for nvme boot support (I dont think booting is allowed on the riser slot...i may be wrong)...disable all boot device options except the one you want to use to load the ISO

Dec 31, 2019
Make sure you're running the 2002 BIOS...check that the 970 ssd is in the correct slot for nvme boot support (I dont think booting is allowed on the riser slot...i may be wrong)...disable all boot device options except the one you want to use to load the ISO
I am running the up to date bios, the ssd is in the DIMM.2 slot (using the ROG DIMM.2 EXPANSION CARD). I have disabled boot options and only left the one i was trying to load the ISO from but still the same problem. I tried setting the USB as only boot option and same with the DVD

Dec 31, 2019
It may be sitting their looking for media to install to...it's just a guess but I have had issues myself in the past with boot SSD's being in an unsupported slot.
I have just removed the drive from the dimm2 and relocated to the slot on the motherboard itself, I have also connected a sata ssd and hdd and i am still having the same issue so i dont think it could be looking for media to install to as it now has 3 options?

Dec 31, 2019
Did you verify AHCI is enabled ?

Also how did you create the ISO files ? Did you use the Microsoft Media Creation tool ? Not using it can cause weird issues with booting the ISO. The Tool is located here...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I created the bootable USB using Rufus and also tried the windows installation media.
for the dvd i used the windows disc image burner and then power ISO.
So far I have tried 3 different ISO's, burned to about 4 discs and tried 2 USB sticks numerous times, also tried the USB in both BIOS and UEFI

Dec 31, 2019
Use bootable USB using Rufus
BIOS option changes:
CSM [Disabled]
Have the M.2 drive connected as only Storage drive.
Hi I have disabled CSM and tried with USB and the DVD it says checking media presence then no media present and back to the flashing underscore. If I manually force the boot from DVD in bios it goes straight to flashing underscore screen

Dec 31, 2019
Use bootable USB using Rufus
BIOS option changes:
CSM [Disabled]
Have the M.2 drive connected as only Storage drive.
Just tried again it failed to boot up beeped a couple tines and shut off. Upon restarting it said CSM settings have been changed for better compatibility and it has turned csm back on itself

Dec 31, 2019
So when you actually try to install Windows 10, what exactly are you seeing? What is the error message if any? Is it even detecting the ISO file on your DVD and USB?
It doesnt get to that stage, it will detect that a dvd/usb is present in bios if I choose to boot from either all I get is a black screen with the flashing underscore nothing else

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I have tried resetting the Bios, updating it I even switched to the secondary bios chip on the board, tried clearing Cmos removed all but 1 ram stick, tried almost everything I can think of

This might be some kind of hardware issue. Some people fixed this by taking out their SSD/HDD, only then did it work. It could have something to do with your EFI boot partition not functioning as intended.

Dec 31, 2019
This might be some kind of hardware issue. Some people fixed this by taking out their SSD/HDD, only then did it work. It could have something to do with your EFI boot partition not functioning as intended.
I have removed the M2 drive and installed a standard data Hdd one with a fresh install of windows it didnt boot and then a formatted drive still the same issue

TRENDING THREADS