Question Can you tell me whats wrong with this card???

Meda123

Reputable
Apr 11, 2020
Hi so my firend asked me for help and i have no idea what to do

he gave me his 3080 bc its "locked" on 240 mhz gpu clock and i have no idea why is that or can it be fixed

it spins the fans works fine but just clock speed is on 240

can anyone help please?

thank you in advance!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
From the label on the back of the GPU, can you identify the make/model listed on it?

You might be able to update the firmware of the GPU from the TechPowerUp database.

Do you know if the cooling fan/shroud was ever removed and the device "re-pasted"?

Meda123

Reputable
Apr 11, 2020
From the label on the back of the GPU, can you identify the make/model listed on it?

You might be able to update the firmware of the GPU from the TechPowerUp database.

Do you know if the cooling fan/shroud was ever removed and the device "re-pasted"?
the card was opened i guess to be repasted but idk for sure

its a msi 10gb suprimx

Meda123

Reputable
Apr 11, 2020
the card was opened i guess to be repasted but idk for sure

Understood. If not down properly, it can cause problems. If unsure, I would re-do that process with new thermal compound and pads.

Still worth looking up the firmware options in the aforementioned database, as well.
so basically its a gamble of will it be fixed or nah yes?

i mean he is about to sell it to someone for a 100 bucks idk if i should buy it from him and try fixing it or nah

COLGeek

Cybernaut
so basically its a gamble of will it be fixed or nah yes?

i mean he is about to sell it to someone for a 100 bucks idk if i should buy it from him and try fixing it or nah
Yes, it is a gamble. Selling, as is, with possibility of fixing for $100 seems reasonable, if you can afford to be wrong.

A couple years ago, I resolved a similar situation with a Radeon VII. After "re-pasting" the GPU worked flawlessly and continues to this day (former co-worker's system). Total cost to repair was a few bucks.

Meda123

Reputable
Apr 11, 2020
Yes, it is a gamble. Selling, as is, with possibility of fixing for $100 seems reasonable, if you can afford to be wrong.

A couple years ago, I resolved a similar situation with a Radeon VII. After "re-pasting" the GPU worked flawlessly and continues to this day (former co-worker's system). Total cost to repair was a few bucks.
thank you so much for help !