Question Cannot Turn off Integrated Graphics on ASUS Laptop

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Note that this isn't my machine and I'm posting this for a friend so I can't check anything myself immediately.

I'll get directly into the issue.
The laptop in question is an ASUS fx504gm-e4057 with an SSD replacement to 1TB and a RAM upgrade to 16GB.
It worked perfectly for some time and the issue appeared randomly about 3 months ago.
Nothing is overheating (50 at idle and 80-ish in games). Every game runs with a low frame rate and it seems that the integrated GPU is used instead of the dedicated as the GPU usage on the dedicated is around 20% at all time. Disabling Intel HD graphics in NVidia control panel changed nothing and disabling it in the Device Manager only gave worse results.

Into the BIOS. The Graphics section contains a grayed out Graphics Configuration option. We tried setting an administrator password as some topics suggested, but still didn't manage to unlock it. Also, the thing is an absolute horror when it comes to layout.

Last edited:
You are not supposed to disable the integrated graphics processor on a laptop, not even on those laptops which, like yours, have dual GPUs. The Integrated graphics processor is required for boot display and for Windows, and uses much less power than the Nvidia GPU (that's the whole point of having dual GPUs on a laptop, to save battery power when Nvidia (or AMD) one isn't required).

You use the 3D Settings in Nvidia Control Panel to specifiy which apps (usually games) you want to use the Nvidia GPU with. Everything else will use the Intel GPU.

What you have been trying to do is just the wrong idea altogether.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
You are not supposed to disable the integrated graphics processor on a laptop, not even on those laptops which, like yours, have dual GPUs. The Integrated graphics processor is required for boot display and for Windows, and uses much less power than the Nvidia GPU (that's the whole point of having dual GPUs on a laptop, to save battery power when Nvidia (or AMD) one isn't required).

You use the 3D Settings in Nvidia Control Panel to specifiy which apps (usually games) you want to use the Nvidia GPU with. Everything else will use the Intel GPU.

What you have been trying to do is just the wrong idea altogether.

He did say that there were occasional issues with them switching back and forth causing lag before it stopped working altogether (GPU usage kept fluctuating between the 2) and it causes more problems that it solves. So I still need to know how to unlock the mentioned options. Also, as I said, the dedicated GPU never turns on at all now.

I also noticed that a lot of people complain that the laptop comes with a weak supply, so we might try getting a new one.

TRENDING THREADS