Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
I have an MSI Geforce GTX 980 Gaming 4G and MSI Optix MAG251RX monitor running latest Windows 10 Pro 64bit and latest Nvidia Geforce driver version.
I can enable HDR when running on DP to HDMI (60hz) adapter cable (detected as running on HDMI) but not on DP 1.4 to DP 1.4 HBR3 (240hz) Cable (Yes I bought another cable just to test and windows says not compatible).
I have also installed the graphics card firmware update for DP 1.3/1.4 Features from Nvidias website and also I have installed the monitor's driver from MSI's website. I've been in touch with MSI and they said HDR and Gsync works fine on 1660 super and 2080ti but I can only get 10bit color on my gtx 980, not HDR.
Is my only option to upgrade to a 1000 series+ or is there something I can do to enable HDR and/or Gsync on my card using DP?

I cant use gsync though
"NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible technology" on the MSI website for the monitor. In the Nvidia control panel there should be a G-sync tab to configure it for the monitor. You may need to go into the options for the monitor and turn freesync on for it to show up in the nvidia control panel. If the monitor has freesync "ultimate" turn that option on.

This is 2 years old now so I do not know if it still applies. I have a gsync monitor and a freesync monitor. When I had my gtx 970 I was able to try using the freesync display with g-sync. Not the same scenario, I know, but it may have been because I had a g-sync monitor that actually had the module on it that it had the option to try g-sync on the freesync monitor?