phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I have an old Asus N55S laptop I bought back in 2012 with Win 7 (home premium). Haven't used it in years because the network stopped working, both wired and wireless. I recently picked up a USB wifi adapter to try and use the laptop but ended up with the same issue. It'll say I've connected to a network but with limited connectivity. ipconfig won't even list the network adapters and the only thing it does list is Tunnel adapter 6TO4. I tried linux on the laptop (elementaryOS) and both adapters work fine so it is indeed a windows issue and not hardware. Safe mode didn't make any difference either.

I did come across this which might be the issue and says there is a hotfix available but I cannot find a download for it or even the KB to maybe search for it online.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-2008-r2-9ab8a7dc-d874-74b0-5640-00bdc11d767a

More googling lead me to try this command:
netsh in 6to4 set state disable
or
netsh interface 6to4 set state disabled

But it hasn't helped. Running the commands says OK but didn't seem to actually change a thing. A few sites said to disable it from device manager but it's not listed there.

Ralston18

Titan
In Device Manager > View

Check that "Show hidden devices" is selected.

= = = =

Make and model USB wireless adapter?

= = = =

Next run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I ended up finding my win7 cd and and tried a restore. It was from 2017 but resolved the issue, but no telling how many other security updates I may have lost doing that. Would you know of any website maintaining legacy updates for windows?