[SOLVED] Can't open USB drive after flashing Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2021
I flashed my USB drive with a Linux ISO today to run it from the flash drive and see how the OS looks like. When I finished and came back to Windows, the drive was showing only 2.8 GB space (ISO size), while it's a 64 GB model. I unplugged and plugged it again, but it wasn't showing up in File Explorer at all. chkdsk also didn't see it.

I managed to delete partitions, set up a single 57 GB one and assign a letter, but now it's just a "flash drive", and Windows can't format or open it. Chkdsk can't see it either ("Cannot open volume for direct access"). What's interesting is even when I unplug the USB drive, the D: icon is still visible in File Explorer. Can the drive be fixed yet?

jfeWbkv.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
D
if it doesn't work after that, and you tested it on another working pc and it doesn't work, then it's DEAD. end of story. not getting it back. it's in electronic heaven now
Start "Command prompt" in adminisearive mode, from there run "Diskpart". Then, do "list disk", and see which disk number corresponds to your 64gb drive. Then, "select disk N", where is N is above number, and confirm this is the disk with "list part" - you'll see one 57gb partition. "clean" will return that drive back as new.

D

Deleted member 14196

then the usb drive is toast and in read only mode now. not at all uncommon for a usb flash drive to fail

Dec 13, 2021
A partition manager I installed is apparently able to format the drive, assign it a letter, but after a reboot it's all coming back to where it was, i.e. no letter, drive not visible in File Explorer. Oddly enough, after I assign a letter, a drive icon is appearing in File Explorer after I unplug the flash drive.

D

Deleted member 14196

if it doesn't work after that, and you tested it on another working pc and it doesn't work, then it's DEAD. end of story. not getting it back. it's in electronic heaven now

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.