yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Hi. I have an 5-6 years old pc and used it with a HDD in that time. I wanna hook up a SSD for the first time but im confused.

I was thinking about getting a Samsung 970 Pro or Evo, the fastest ones, but then i read its not compatible with my mobo. I have an MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard and i think it doesnt support nvme’s. Some say u can kinda use it but with %30 - %40 performance loss.

So, should i get 970 or 960 with loss or go with 8XX series? Ooor, another good brand rather than samsung. I mean even with those losses its still fast. Helps appreciated!

Solution
I couldnt find many Crucial branded ones in my country but Kingston ones are like bargain. Lil less writing speeds but a lot cheaper than Samsungs. Last question: i just wanna boot win8 from this ssd and maybe a couple games, will 120gb do the job?
I had a 120GB HP S700 (wouldn't reccomend this model) and it was enough for Windows and maybe 1 game, but it fills quickly.

I swapped to a Kingston A400 240gb and am happy with it. It is enough for Windows and a couple games, although the bigger games go on my HDD. Windows is snappy and even faster than my old HP drive or my mechanical drive I started with.
While your motherboards do have an M.2 slot and the motherboard drive QVL does have a few M.2s listed, M.2 support is hit or miss with older motherboards. An NVME 970 or 960 would likely work, but I would go with a SATA 2.5in drive.

While NVME is faster in benchmarks, it is not a very noticeable difference between day to day usage.

A 2.5in SATA SSD will still be a massive improvement over any HDD.

Reactions: yeah412

yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
While your motherboards do have an M.2 slot and the motherboard drive QVL does have a few M.2s listed, M.2 support is hit or miss with older motherboards. An NVME 970 or 960 would likely work, but I would go with a SATA 2.5in drive.

While NVME is faster in benchmarks, it is not a very noticeable difference between day to day usage.

A 2.5in SATA SSD will still be a massive improvement over any HDD.
I read that my mobo has M.2 but its x2 smth smth i dont really understand. I also read that i can use it with lil help from a PCIe express card. Should i do that or go with SATA? And if u can give me any suggestions for around 250-256gb SSDs, that’d be nice.

yeah412

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
I'd go sata 2.5in.

Crucial MX500 250gb would be my pick.
The Kingston A400 240gb would be a cheaper alternative.

What is your budget?
I couldnt find many Crucial branded ones in my country but Kingston ones are like bargain. Lil less writing speeds but a lot cheaper than Samsungs. Last question: i just wanna boot win8 from this ssd and maybe a couple games, will 120gb do the job?

I had a 120GB HP S700 (wouldn't reccomend this model) and it was enough for Windows and maybe 1 game, but it fills quickly.

I swapped to a Kingston A400 240gb and am happy with it. It is enough for Windows and a couple games, although the bigger games go on my HDD. Windows is snappy and even faster than my old HP drive or my mechanical drive I started with.

Solution