[SOLVED] Click noise when pulling up the lever on MSI B550 am4 socket.

Jul 23, 2020
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased MSI B550M Mortar WiFi with Ryzen 3300x processor.

I have no issue or no click sound when i put the processor on socket and push the lever down but when i pull the lever all the way up, socket makes a click sound. that noise processor . Is it normal or i have defective socket motherboard

Extra info.
If I do not move the lever all the way up, then it does not even sound and the processor does not release either but if I move the level to the top, then the click noise comes and processor releases from the socket.

Reference video of issue: Watch the video from here 1:10
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQ2ambcZSE

Solution
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased MSI B550M Mortar WiFi with Ryzen 3300x processor.

I have no issue or no click sound when i put the processor on socket and push the lever down but when i pull the lever all the way up, socket makes a click sound. that noise processor . Is it normal or i have defective socket motherboard

Extra info.
If I do not move the lever all the way up, then it does not even sound and the processor does not release either but if I move the level to the top, then the click noise comes and processor releases from the socket.

All AMD sockets do that, leaver is...

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
It's up to you. If you don't feel comfortable with it clicking, see if you can get a return. Worst comes to worst they tell you that you can't get a return because it's how it is meant to be... that also fixes your problem. If your CPU works fine then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You shouldn't be opening it up all too often anyway. :)

Reactions: Gaurav Gaharwar

Extra info.

All AMD sockets do that, leaver is on a cam that releases a spring to tighten contacts. The spring (actually several) is allowing CPU to be (by accident) pulled out of socket without braking any pins.
With Intel (775 and up), whole mechanism just holds CPU down.

Reactions: Gaurav Gaharwar
Solution
Jul 23, 2020
All AMD sockets do that, leaver is on a cam that releases a spring to tighten contacts. The spring (actually several) is allowing CPU to be (by accident) pulled out of socket without braking any pins.
With Intel (775 and up), whole mechanism just holds CPU down.

Thank you all for replying.

This is my first time of using AMD. So this happens with all latest AMD sockets but i have seen on YouTube that very old socket did not do that. Can you guide me where can i read all about this mechanism or any article.
And my processor works fine, nothing is broken nor overheating issues. No cpu_debug led lit for failure.

That click noise came for the first time and also the last time, and every time.
So what should i do now, replacement of it is not a easy task.

I think it is the way it has to be
Im scared with it. I barely got it and now it is out of stock everywhere.

This is my first time of using AMD. So this happens with all latest AMD sockets but i have seen on YouTube that very old socket did not do that. Can you guide me where can i read all about this mechanism or any article.
And my processor works fine, nothing is broken nor overheating issues. No cpu_debug led lit for failure.

That click noise came for the first time and also the last time, and every time.

[/QUOT

Thatos how it works, don't worry about it, all will do same thing.