[SOLVED] component swap has made windows 7 unusable, mouse laggy, not detecting other USB Devices, chipset driver not even opening.

sebos2000

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hello all,
I recently purchased a new set of components for my pc;
i5 9600k
16gb ddr4 2600mhz ram
Asus rx 5700
msi h310m pro vdh plus
650w silverstone psu

along with windows 7 pro 64 bit

As soon as I got it, I instinctively set the driver disc aside, and due to circumstances which involved me being in a serviced apartment, the cleaner mistook the disc in the pile of boxes for rubbish and threw it away... Yeah I know.

Anyway, I have been faced with constant problems and strange behaviour I have never seen from a pc before. For instance, as soon as I booted into my pre existing windows 7, there was very erratic movement from the mouse; it was bouncing all over the place and snapped to the bottom left of the screen inexplicably , and the screen flashed a few times. I cleared my old drivers and rebooted, to no avail, and eventually just reinstalled windows. This is the strange part: I can use everything I plug into the USB ports in the bios, even identify my iPhone, but as soon as I go into windows, literally only the mouse and the keyboard are detected, and the mouse is extremely laggy and choppy. I don't have access to ethernet due to my circumstances, and any usb wifi receiver I use isn't even detected.

I have several errors in the device manager, including PCI, PCIe, USB controller, etc. I tried downloading the chipset drivers onto a hdd and loading it that way, and nothing. it doesn't even start. its been incredibly frustrating for me having dropped almost 1000 aud on this machine and still days later being met with a laggy cursor and virtually no usb capability. all I can think of at this point is either the motherboard is faulty or is not compatible with windows 7.

Please feel free to leave any suggestions, I'm desperate. Thanks

Mod Edit for Language 🇳🇴

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
This is the problem. What was the hardware setup before the new hardware?

He reinstalled windows.

all I can think of at this point is either the motherboard is faulty or is not compatible with windows 7.

This is probably it. Most makers stopped making win 7 drivers for mothersboards, gpu's, etc. Search for your motherboard model on the makers site and check what drivers are there. Better yet, just upgrade to win 10.

Edit: Don't upgrade from win 7 to win 10, do a fresh install of win 10 if you decide to do so.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
This is the problem. What was the hardware setup before the new hardware?

He reinstalled windows.

all I can think of at this point is either the motherboard is faulty or is not compatible with windows 7.

This is probably it. Most makers stopped making win 7 drivers for mothersboards, gpu's, etc. Search for your motherboard model on the makers site and check what drivers are there. Better yet, just upgrade to win 10.

Edit: Don't upgrade from win 7 to win 10, do a fresh install of win 10 if you decide to do so.

Reactions: sebos2000
Solution
He reinstalled windows.

Missed that part.

this is correct though. Windows 7 is no longer supported so driver support will slowly but surely die off. Windows 10 is the best and only real option. Even Windows 8.1 lost AMD and nVidia driver support.

The good news is that if you have a legit Windows 7 license Windows 10 will accept it and activate so there is no additional cost to be had. Just download the ISO or make a USB installer with the media creation tool and input the Windows 7 key.

Reactions: sebos2000

sebos2000

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
The point is, Windows 7 drivers are available and they should still work. Yes, installing Windows 10 would be the better option.

@sebos2000 - You'll need to get to a working PC and download the chipset/ethernet drivers for your installed OS from here.

-Wolf sends
Hi thanks for the quick reply, but i aready tried that and the chipset doesnt even start, and the amd driver doesn’t install correctly, something about a dll not able to be located. I will make a bootable win 10 drive later and let you all know if it works. Thanks again

sebos2000

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
He reinstalled windows.

Thing is the website has a windows 7 32 and 64 bit option for all the drivers.... makes me think it isnt necessarily still Actively supported but nonetheless supported

sebos2000

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Turns out windows 10 has done the trick... wish the website/packaging pointed out that it wasnt compatible with one of the most popular operating systems on the planet. thanks for all of you guys' help.