[SOLVED] Computer crashes seemingly randomly with loud screeching noise coming through my headset

Oct 29, 2019
I recently got new parts for my computer, basically making it a whole new build apart from my 2 hard drives. Ever since then, I have been experiencing crashes at random moments. By random, I mean I have crashed right as I logged in to my computer, or crashed after 3-4 hours of playing intensive games. My screen will either go black with a loud screeching noise that lasts about a second then reboots, while another crash I experience is my computer completely freezing up keeping the last image I was looking at while having a constant screeching noise until I power down my computer holding down the power button. There is no correlation with my crashes, as I'll crash while gaming, or just simply browsing the internet. I was not having these issues in my previous build, so I tried swapping out my new graphics card (GTX 1660) with my old one (GTX 750 Ti) and ended up having the same problem, just that it seemed like there was a greater window in between my crashes. Having said my previous sentence, I believe that it could either be my CPU or motherboard, but I'm not sure.
Specs: (RAM is DDR4)
These issues are not caused by any of my parts overheating as I have monitored my temps while gaming and they never reach dangerous levels. I have tried absolutely everything that I have found on the internet relating to my issue in the slightest bit, and nothing has solved my problem. I’ve tried sfc, DISM, getting my drivers set up and up to date, and even reset my pc using the windows “reset this pc” function. Nothing has worked.

Last edited:

Nuurotic

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I used to have this issue, I cannot remember how I fixed it but I seem to recall it being an audio driver issue, or a RAM issue. The latter ring a bell more so. Have you tried error checking your RAM modules ?

Yangjo

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
did you reinstall the os with the new board and name and model of psu .
I can answer this for him, as I've tried to help figure out what the source of the problem is.
He did try the "Reset this PC" option for windows 10 without saving apps or any data. He did not try re-installing his windows the traditional method of doing so.
He used the Reset this PC option after he seemingly tried most other things.

Oct 29, 2019
I used to have this issue, I cannot remember how I fixed it but I seem to recall it being an audio driver issue, or a RAM issue. The latter ring a bell more so. Have you tried error checking your RAM modules ?
I tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it said no memory errors were detected.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@deffectz if you are wondering why your posts keep disappearing, its because you keep editing the original post, and since you only have 4 posts, the spam filter puts it in a queue that moderators have to clear to make sure the post is okay.

So I deleted your 2nd question as I have made this one viewable again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you just reset the PC, after moving install from 1 pc to another, I wonder how long windows will stay activated. As it doesn't work if you just swap the install over, the license part of install is before the starting point of a reset, so windows, even if it has newest drivers matching hardware, is registered as being on completely different hardware on activation servers, and eventually they will check.

loud screeching noise could be drivers dying off, I have seen that.

any BSOD?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

any errors showing in reliability history apart from restarts?

Oct 29, 2019
@deffectz if you are wondering why your posts keep disappearing, its because you keep editing the original post, and since you only have 4 posts, the spam filter puts it in a queue that moderators have to clear to make sure the post is okay.

So I deleted your 2nd question as I have made this one viewable again.

Sorry about that.

if you just reset the PC, after moving install from 1 pc to another, I wonder how long windows will stay activated. As it doesn't work if you just swap the install over, the license part of install is before the starting point of a reset, so windows, even if it has newest drivers matching hardware, is registered as being on completely different hardware on activation servers, and eventually they will check.

loud screeching noise could be drivers dying off, I have seen that.

any BSOD?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

any errors showing in reliability history apart from restarts?

For the screeching noise, is there a certain driver that could be dying off that would cause that? I just experienced a crash (before making the mini dump file) which did not have a screeching noise.

I have not experienced a single BSOD since upgrading my system.

When I next experience a crash I will be sure to upload the file, I'll try to crash my computer as fast as possible(lol.)

As for reliability history, nothing to note.

Colif

Win 11 Master
For the screeching noise, is there a certain driver that could be dying off that would cause that? I just experienced a crash (before making the mini dump file) which did not have a screeching noise.
Not really. Audio is too obvious but it can be any driver causing the noise.

My computer crashed about 5 minutes ago and did not create a memory dump file. I double checked and I did set up the crash dump properly.

well, it only create dump if its a BSOD and you say you haven't had any. Windows may not know why its crashing which leads to thinking its hardware. We just look at drivers first.

can you download and run this program - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - all it does is shows drivers

when you run it, can you go into view menu and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, as that will reduce length of list

Can you take a screenshot showing from (and including) Driver file name to (and including) creation date.
upload screenshot to Imgur and show it here. I will look at list and see if there is anything obvious.

Oct 29, 2019
Not really. Audio is too obvious but it can be any driver causing the noise.

well, it only create dump if its a BSOD and you say you haven't had any. Windows may not know why its crashing which leads to thinking its hardware. We just look at drivers first.

can you download and run this program - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - all it does is shows drivers

when you run it, can you go into view menu and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, as that will reduce length of list

Can you take a screenshot showing from (and including) Driver file name to (and including) creation date.
upload screenshot to Imgur and show it here. I will look at list and see if there is anything obvious.

Oct 29, 2019
the only suspect driver there is the latest Nvidia driver (surprisingly enough) although i am not sure this is a behaviour they would cause.

Nothing stands out otherwise.

Could try following steps in 2nd post here and see if it is a driver - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/
I finally crashed, and after my computer started booting up I received a BSOD. The cause was "RzDev"(Razer?) and sorry, but I cannot remember the actual name of the .sys file but it did start with an a.
Here is the link to the dump file.