[SOLVED] Computer freezing and crashing with buzzing sound when opening game

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Hello,

So recently i purchased a new case and moved my components from my old case to the new one. Everything started up good and everything ran fine. However, i opened COD Warzone and every time I open it, my graphics card (i think) does a weird noise then the PC freezes and does a weird buzzing sound and i cannot power off my PC using the button and i have to shut down the PSU. I have no idea why this is happening, and i think it will happen with most games that can have a load on the graphics card. However, i read a thread on here saying to change the virtual memory and so on and when i did, it still froze but without the buzzing sound this time. and maybe it might be from the memory but i did something wrong when setting it virtually, please help this is very frustrating. and my case has very good airflow.

My Specs:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Gigabyte
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
16GB DDR4 Ram
H170-Gaming 3 Motherboard
CoolerMaster G750M PSU

Solution
Use DDU and reinstall the graphics driver.
Apparently your cooling is in trouble if the temps are so high. If fresh thermal paste will not help - get a better cooler (or AIO)

Okay, so i have gotten thermal paste and applied it to my CPU, tempretures went down from 100C on 100% to 53C on 100% with gpu and 42C on 100% without gpu. Then i ran the game and everything is fine now. all this was because i didnt renew the thermal paste lol. Thanks for ur help man, i probably wouldn't have guessed that was it if i haven't done that stress test. Thanks a bunch

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Since the only thing that has changed between your old and the new build is the case - I would go over power cables and make sure they are all firmly inserted.
As for virtual memory size, try letting the OS decide the size and see what that does.

I already have done that, and made sure they are all firmly placed and the computer is working fine it only brings this problem when i open a heavy loaded game. and the OS already decides the virtual ram.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
IF all tests pass, try running GPU and CPU stress together, that loads the PSU and if it will crash you have an action item there,

Okay so, the stress test gave me an error when stressing the gpu.

"The procedure entry point fatBinaryCtl could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\\Windows\system32\nvopencl.dll. "

however, it went on with the CPU stress test. and it showed me temperatures of around 100 C which is way too high and gave me a warning. and i haven't replaced my thermal paste it around 4 years and its dried out. then the computer froze and i had to force restart it. so im guessing i should add new thermal paste? and as for the GPU error i uninstalled the driver and ill be reinstalling it.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Apparently your cooling is in trouble if the temps are so high. If fresh thermal paste will not help - get a better cooler (or AIO)
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the display driver, and as for the CPU, i didn't re-apply a thermal paste or remove the old one, and my cooler is pretty good and usually lowers temps around 40C so once my thermal paste gets here from shipping ill apply it and hope my computer doesn't cause anymore problems since it freezes completely once the CPU reaches a high temp.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016

Okay, so i have gotten thermal paste and applied it to my CPU, tempretures went down from 100C on 100% to 53C on 100% with gpu and 42C on 100% without gpu. Then i ran the game and everything is fine now. all this was because i didnt renew the thermal paste lol. Thanks for ur help man, i probably wouldn't have guessed that was it if i haven't done that stress test. Thanks a bunch

Solution
Apr 27, 2020
This also happens to me while gaming. I think you should try replacing the old thermal paste of your GPU. It must be a cooling issue. If this also dont work then dont overclock your GPU . Try everything in stock. Cooling must me the main problem.