[SOLVED] Computer has been acting weird since power outage.

Jul 6, 2021
Here's what I've noticed so far:
  • Programs on Windows seem to randomly become unresponsive to mouse input, but sometimes still responding to keyboard input. This includes stuff like the taskbar and the Windows settings aswell.
  • Programs seem to "regress" randomly. For example, Discord keeps going back to the home screen at random as I'm typing and the same happens to YouTube on Chrome.
  • I'm unable to boot from my USB drive anymore, even though it's detected by the BIOS, when I try to boot from my USB, the screen flashes and then stays in the BIOS.
Something else to note is that something similar has happened to me before, the difference is that my headset wasn't recognized by Windows, but other devices were. And back then, this was fixed by forcefully turning off my computer while it was still running. This time, I didn't have the same luck.
This could very well be a hardware issue afaik, the problem is that I've most likely got no warranty and I'm low on money because I recently bought new RAM sticks.
Here's my specs:
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060
CPU: Intel Core i5-8500 3.0Ghz
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B360-F Gaming
RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix 2666Mhz
PSU: EVGA 450B 80+ Bronze 450W
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB
Thank you for your time.

Solution
I'm not really able to make an upgrade at the moment, and it was working fine before. What I don't understand is why when this happened before, I could fix the issue by forcing a shutdown. I'll see if I can get my hands on a different PSU though.

Something partially failing doesn't prevent it from eventually fully failing. Problems ignored tend to come back and bite you. An old, group-regulated PSU was never an appropriate choice for an RTX 2060, and now you're in kind of a bind in which if the easy solutions don't work, you'll need to rule out the PSU, which ought to be replaced even if it's not the specific problem here.
Jul 6, 2021
Many times.....with a power outage....the power supply takes the damage....and then sometimes the motherboard as well....and even more.
Also....your PSU is very weak for your system to begin with. It doesn't even make NVidia's requirements.
I'm not really able to make an upgrade at the moment, and it was working fine before. What I don't understand is why when this happened before, I could fix the issue by forcing a shutdown. I'll see if I can get my hands on a different PSU though.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Something partially failing doesn't prevent it from eventually fully failing. Problems ignored tend to come back and bite you. An old, group-regulated PSU was never an appropriate choice for an RTX 2060, and now you're in kind of a bind in which if the easy solutions don't work, you'll need to rule out the PSU, which ought to be replaced even if it's not the specific problem here.

Solution