Question Computer making horizontal lines all across screen after driver update

Mar 28, 2021
Hey guys.

Today I played some Valorant and a message popped up telling me that my driver (version 388.13) "has known issuse"
I tried updating to the recommended version 441.20.

After this i experienced a BSOD with various error codes, in short now my GPU (I think) is causing problems. I get horizontal lines all over the screen and I've tried using DDU to uninstall drivers in safe mode. Nothing is working, My device manager recognizes the GPU but says that "Windows stopped the device as it has reported an error. (Code 43)" Please do let me know if you have a solution for this. I'll post my specs of the wooden gamer pc below:

And also let me know if you need any other specs I'll happily provide more if needed.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
RAM 10GB Corsair DDR3
Win 10 64 bit
Motherboard Asus P8B75-M
PSU Argus APS-720W

Here is how it looks at the moment:
View: https://imgur.com/a/dzUL90J

By the way, sorry if posted in the wrong topic!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats a cool design, it looks like you showing a jpg image

try running ddu in safe mode and remove drivers that caused error and install them again, see if that helps

have you tried removing gpu and running off the integrated gpu in the cpu

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explorer
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021
thats a cool design, it looks like you showing a jpg image.

try running ddu in safe mode and remove drivers that caused error and install them again, see if that helps

have you tried removing gpu and running off the integrated gpu in the cpu

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explorer
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Hi there Colif. Thank you for having a look at my issue.

Yeah a very cool design you are not wrong about the JPEG, i just had to open an image with a black colour to emphasize the problem with the horizontal lines.
  1. First of all. I just tried using DDU again in safeboot and it didn't work.
  2. I followed option one of the link and afterwards did the step 1-7.
This is the link to the minidump zip file:
https://filebin.net/5gjhagpocukv2slf
Just letting everyone know, that this expires in 7 days if anyone else would have a look at it.

EDIT:
I tried running without the GPU plugged in, and I get no horizontal lines.

Does this mean that my GPU is somehow fried? or is it saveable, pls let it be saveable it's a nightmare getting hands on a decent graphics card these days!

Thanks once again.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't notice you had already tried ddu. I skipped over that part in 1st post. How do you mean it doesn't work?

I would try gpu in another PC and see if it causes same problems. It could be the card itself.

I don't want to have to say its gpu any more than you want to hear it.

I will ask a friend to convert dumps.

Do you get lines in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/aqmgo4cy/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:032821-4828-01.dmp (Mar 28 2021 - 15:40:56)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:032821-4375-01.dmp (Mar 28 2021 - 15:43:07)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:032821-3671-01.dmp (Mar 28 2021 - 15:19:58)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File information:032821-3656-01.dmp (Mar 28 2021 - 14:43:40)

File information:032821-3671-02.dmp (Mar 28 2021 - 14:57:18)
Comment: All dumps are pointing to the GPU driver or GPU.

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed. How long have you been using the 2GB stick?

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/P8B75-M/HelpDesk_BIOS/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 1401. The latest is 1701. Many of the updates "Improve system stability" and "Improve memory compatibility". Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its funny how dumps are only ever obvious when we already know the driver to blame.

How do you mean ddu didn't work? Do you mean it removed drivers but didn't make any difference?

Did you update to 442.10 or the newest Versions of Nvidia drivers? As your installed drivers during all 4 BSOD above were
Mar 23 2018nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/
and those are 3 years old. New ones are 461.92 dated 16th March 2021

442.10 are dated 22nd Nov 2019. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/153948/

Try updating to latest. https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Reactions: PCproblem1234
Mar 28, 2021
i didn't notice you had already tried ddu. I skipped over that part in 1st post. How do you mean it doesn't work?

I would try gpu in another PC and see if it causes same problems. It could be the card itself.

I don't want to have to say its gpu any more than you want to hear it.

I will ask a friend to convert dumps.

Do you get lines in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

i totally get that you are confused, What I meant was that it (DDU) succesfully uninstalled the drivers, and rebooted still with the lines on the screen. Afterwards i tried downloading version 388.13 as i known This driver was working perfectly before, I’ve already now seen that the driver 441,20 is non-compatible with the old GTX570.

During safe mode with network I also get horizontal lines.

Mar 28, 2021
The motherboard is the correct one. Does it mean that I will have to try to update this to see if it’s working? Computer-troubleshooting wise I would consider myself a novice. So I would like to know what I can use this type of information to do as my next step. I recently tried an internet guide where I had to find the nvldmkk.sys in the win sys 32 and rename it to old. This particular guide is from iobit named “fix nvidia nvldkmm.sys” (I can’t link to the page for some reason)

I couldn’t locate the file via windows file explorer search and therefore not go forward with additional steps.

the actual lines are the ones present. The only thing I did was to open a black color as a jpeg.

gardenman

Splendid
I recently tried an internet guide where I had to find the nvldmkk.sys in the win sys 32 and rename it to old. This particular guide is from iobit named “fix nvidia nvldkmm.sys”
Please don't try such nonsense. nvldmkk.sys is a driver. Renaming it simply tells your PC not to use that driver anymore. It's alot like uninstalling the driver, or at least part of it. In addition, iobit is known to make software that has the potential to destroy systems by "cleaning/fixing" the registry among other things. Avoid them all together.

Trying things is OK, but ask here first.

Mar 28, 2021
Please don't try such nonsense. nvldmkk.sys is a driver. Renaming it simply tells your PC not to use that driver anymore. It's alot like uninstalling the driver, or at least part of it. In addition, iobit is known to make software that has the potential to destroy systems by "cleaning/fixing" the registry among other things. Avoid them all together.

Trying things is OK, but ask here first.

Thanks! Luckily it didn't work out at all, since I didn't proceed. I will remember this. Do you have any idea what so ever that I can try to do in order to fix this?

EDIT:
Maybe it's time to try to update the bios? as you proposed earlier?

Colif

Win 11 Master
normally updating a bios on an old PC that has worked perfectly fine on the version it is on before the problem started, doesn't actually help. especially if no hardware was changed.

Do they show in bios? If so, can you show us a screenshot of it?

If it happens in safe mode it likely means it doesn't matter what driver you use, those lines will be there.

I am curious if the lines show in another operating system - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/ (you can run it off the USB)

Mar 28, 2021
They show both in bios from the GPU and from the motherboard. In the GPU bios it Kinda blanks out random numbers like so:
Original text is an visa GeForce GTX 570
Now after this driver issue thing:
It makes squares instead of letters, so a _ represents a square:
V_DI G_F
And so on, you get the picture.

If I were to try another operating system would it be the same as reinstalling windows? Meaning that I’ d have to make a backup, in order not to lose files, data and so on?

Mar 28, 2021
If those lines appear in BIOS and from GPU and integrated GPU, then that is bad video cable or broken monitor.
(highly unlikely for GPU and integrated GPU to be both damaged)

That would be so nice, I have to try it out with another monitor or cable.
I just find it weird that in device manager it says: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)".

I have tried drivers from before 388.13 and at least 2-3 steps down, then it gives me a BSOD with "Page fault in non-paged area with nvlddmkm.sys error, and it just continues with the restart loop until it suggests advanced troubleshooting.

Even if it says that windows have stopped this device; theoretically could I launch a game of, say CS GO replacing monitor cables and it shows no horizontal lines, and still be able to game as I used to?