[SOLVED] Computer Part Problems, big lag spikes and frame drops with good PC parts

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Basically like a week ago-ish I noticed my game starting to lag a little and I look at task manager and the memory usage is at 98% and then a day passes and it starts to lag really bad, like ill scope in with my sniper and it'll lag or if i get shot my game would freeze up making it so I cant run so ill just die instantly lol and then later that night my computer blue screened for the first time in ages

And then I was playing rust (high ram usage game) and my memory was like spiking to 96% etc same for playing escape from tarkov itll sit around like 95% sometimes itll even sit at 70% or 80% and still feel the same lag with task manager not having anything wrong on it

Ive ran virus softwares so its not a virus I guess, ive also ran the windows memory diagnostic thing and it found no problems so I dont know what could be wrong but I have an idea that it is to do with my memory even tho ive had my cpu, memory and ram for some reason all sit at like 85% but went down quickly

But heres the real problem, I ordered 2x8gb new ram sticks last night and put them in but im still having the same problem ;/ it sucks so much smh I really dont know whats wrong or if there is any software/things that I can run/test to get more of an idea of whats lagging. (It definitely can't be a ram memory problem)

ANOTHER THING - I noticed each time I had bad lag spikes, my hard drive would spike up to like 100% each time my game lagged bad, but I dont understand how it could be to do with that because the game is downloaded on my 1TB samsung SSD and my windows is on a separate SSD. I only have games that I dont really play & videos/pictures on the hard drive

My Parts that I have currently;
RTX 2060
i7 8700 CPU
16gb 3200mhz DDR4 HyperX Fury (NEW STICKS)
Prime b365m-k
Corsair VS 650 PSU

My old ram was Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3000mhz DDR4

Last edited:
Solution
It won't be pretty but if you could somehoe get a straight ethernet connection from the router to your computer that should help. How much depends on the speed/stability improvement.
CAT 5e or CAT 6 ethernet can run up to 100m in ideal conditions. Naturally, only get the length of cable that you need to get to your computer.

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
I would try 2666MHz, yes.
I got it set on 2666mhz speed now, booted up fine.
Computers are so complicated lmao, its just weird how I went from being able to play max ultra graphics on escape from tarkov and now I cant even run lowest graphics without having huge lag spikes like when I shoot, aim in, get shot at etc it is also the same with Rust Survival

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42208042 heres an updated benchmark not sure if it really changed much

Last edited:

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Looks like your drives could be having issues.
Run each drive's manufacturer test to see if they report any issues.
I just tried testing the hard drives, checked with a software called CrystalDiskInfo, Samsung SSD Magician and Western Disk software and all of them show up that they are good. I also tested through windows checking tool for each drive with no errors.
So confused with what could be wrong but when I am playing my game ill be fine running around for a second and then ill lag and my HDD will spike to 100% (old 1TB hard drive) while my 2 other SSDs will stay at a very low %

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Check your Kingston with Kingston SSD manager.
I ran the Kingston SSD test there now, the health overview shows
Failures: None - Warnings: Yes - Overall: Degraded
SSD Wear Indicator = 12%
SSD Spare Blocks = 100%

but apart from that everything seems fine except for what it says in the health overview

The Kingston drive is what I have my windows installed on but no games/anything else on it, just the windows

Last edited:

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
It's difficult to tell whether the degraded status is contributing to the issue or not.
What is installed on each of the drives? Are there games on the HDD?
Yeah im pretty sure there is some games on the hard drive but the ones that take longer to load and my main games are on my 1TB Samsung SSD like tarkov, rust survival, call of duty, GTA etc I also just read a thread about a lot of people having bad fps spikes and problems with their computers from the most recent windows update like 5 days ago which I think is around when I had my problem so imma uninstall that real quick and see if it makes a difference.

And thank you a lot for trying your best to help me with my problem :) it means a lot

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Don't uninstall the servicing stack.
Download and install Unigine Valley. Let it run for 15+ mins. Do you see any graphics issues or hitching/stuttering?
Ive had it running for around 20 minutes now on high/ultra, not a single FPS spike at all, no stuttering, on a constant 150-200 FPS the only time it would slightly drop to like 100-90 is when it switches frame to the next graphics scene looks perfectly good lol

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Are you only seeing this lag with online games?
https://gyazo.com/7e7e6ee9bfdd2aacbfb9f14b292198d8 theres the benchmarking option done on high graphics, I dont know with the part with it just being online games. I only play online games, but I remember my brother saying something about there being a problem with the ethernet and ive noticed the ethernet in task manager spikes up very high but I dont understand how that can affect a game when a computer part generates the FPS

is there a way I can test it with being offline? to see if I can run just fine or something

folksrust

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Yes, play single player games. If you don't currently have any, download a demo single player game.

How good are your internet speeds? Are you hooked up via direct ethernet? It isn't necessarily an issue with your computer - it could just be server lag.
https://gyazo.com/aa6b2b6172090ffaeeee0477048206c3 that is my speeds on speedtest, lol im pretty sure its bad because my friends are like in the hundreds area. My ethernet isnt plugged straight into the main router, its like an ethernet plugged from one of the ethernet wifi plugs in the wall then linked up to some small box that has a couple ethernet ports so my brother has an ethernet to his and an ethernet to mine and im downloading The Long Dark, pretty sure its an offline single player game that can be "demanding" on the computer specs area so we will see from that