Question Computer randomly restarts when gaming ?

Oct 19, 2023
Hi All,

I humbly come to this community today to help me with this totally mind-boggling issue.

So I built this PC just before last christmas and the spec is below:

Intel Core i9-12900KS
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Corsair Dominator DDR5 Ram 2 x 32gb
Corsair HX1500i PSU
4TB Seagate Firecuda 530

So I most work on this machine and haven't gamed much on it until recently and whenever I play games on it the whole machine completely dies instantly with no error or freeze and reboots. It does it different times with different games like Sea of Thieves will take a good few hours to cause it where Red Dead 2 on ultra will tank it in less than 5min.

I have run the following stress testing and benchmark tools all with no problems or results:

- Furmark
- Prime95
- Memtest86
- Cinebench
- 3D Mark
- and Benchmark Superposition

I have run these for hours stressing the hell out of the machine with no results and then as soon as I fire Red Dead 2 up it tanks almost instantly and I have no ideas why these programs would cause it to do the same but maybe I'm missing something.

I have captured all the sensor logs from HWiNFO64 in the excel file below and the last log in the document is right before the restart, I don't fully know what I am looking for here to help me diagnose this so any help would be greatly appreciated 😁Thanks for reading

Sensor logs before restart

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair Dominator DDR5 Ram 2 x 32gb
Got a link to this?

Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Make and model of your case? Hw are you cooling the processor?

Oct 19, 2023
Thanks for the fast reply @Lutfij 😁

- Ram are in slots 1 and 2, so the first 2 on the left
- Case is the O11 Dynamic Evo case by Lian Li
- The system is water-cooled with a Hydro X - XD5 pump that goes to 2 rads, the motherboard and the GPU water block. I also have the corsair AIO H100i
- BIOS Version 2.21.1278 - I didn't change anything on the bios from the standard defaults apart from the XMP which I switch from auto to XMP I, when I did that the machine was faster but still same issue

Thanks

Nothing in your log points to anything obvious and the only thing I noticed was a few seconds before it ended the CPU seemed to drop to base clock on all of the P cores though this may or may not mean anything. Temperatures and power consumption all seem to be about what would be expected.
Thanks for the fast reply @Lutfij 😁

- Ram are in slots 1 and 2, so the first 2 on the left
According to the manual for this motherboard the DRAM should be in A2/B2 which would be slots #2 and #4 looking left to right at the board. I'm not sure this would have any impact on your crashing, but it's definitely something you should fix.

Oct 19, 2023
@thestryker So i have reseated the Ram in A2 and B2 and still exactly the same problem, literally 5mins into Red Dead and cold restart, I also switch the PSU power socket to try another one.

This is really crazy as I cant see anything that would point in a specific direct 😣

Oct 19, 2023
Ok i am dying here FFS! so i really really need help as iv even done a BIOS update and updated every single thing in windows and still its doing it 💀

I don't know what to do as even having the GeForce overlay while running red dead I can see its barely tapping my resources😥

Oct 19, 2023
@thestryker No iv already looked at those logs and they are very unhelpful

I’m going to install a fresh version of windows on a separate SSD and retest as well as trying a different PSU, I’m at a huge loss as I don’t know why all the stress tests pass with flying colours and then when I play a game it restarts 🧐😣