Question Computer shutting down as if the power was cut off.

Jan 19, 2022
Hello,
I purchased a computer from a local business with 50+ 5 star reviews. I considered buying a pre built but elected to support someone local, now I am starting to regret it. The owner, who I will call Jim, built the computer for me and helped me every step of the way and went above and beyond with initial interactions. However within the first week of taking delivery of the unit it started very randomly shutting off. Like the title says almost as if I had my computer plugged into an outlet which was controlled by a light switch and someone came in and flipped the switch off and then back on after about three seconds.

As it stands Jim claims it is most likely software related, blaming the fact that I play a lot of PC games that are still in beta. Games like Valheim, Escape from Tarkov, Sqaud, Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord. These are mostly games with progression and dealing with roll back and losing hours of time consistently is VERY irritating as I'm sure some of you can understand. The worst part is I have a much older computer that I use as a back up and it plays all of these games and crashing is almost none existent let alone complete shut downs.

Jim late last week had me drop the computer back off at his store and he ran several stress tests and even fired up a few of the games that were pretty consistently shutting down the computer. He never had the PC shut off once while it was plugged in at his store. Which made us consider maybe it was power related at my house. I live in a slightly older house which is about 1 hop 1 skip and 1 jump outside of town. Unfortunately we tend to lose power pretty regularly. Maybe 4-5 times per year. So I started thinking maybe there are power sags that I don't really notice or something funky with the power at the wall. I amazon primed a AVR UPS system (EATON 5S 1500VA 900W) to my house to make sure my computer was getting a consistent 120V and if it was in any way related to the power coming from my outlets, this system should handle it.

Well after several stress tests and about an hour of gaming, sure enough it shut down again. It proceeded to shut down two additional times in about a 2.5 hour period. Which leads me to right now.

The entire time my temperatures have never exceeded 78c. Obviously all of the bios and drivers are up to date. I have uninstalled and reinstalled almost everything on my computer at least twice now. The PSU seems to be working normal, it's fan in operating as it should. Has anyone else experienced this type of an issue and if so what was your solution?
Thanks in advance.
Vaughn

i9-10900K
GTX 3090
32.0 GB Ram
Z490 Pro4
850w PSU

First of all get one of these 230V Professional Mains Socket Tester with Fault Finder - 13A - Socket & See | CPC UK (farnell.com) from a local electrical shop , you plug them into a mains socket and the combination of lights may reveal a problem that you might not be aware of.

You say Jim ! is only a hop skip and a jump from your home so why not as him to visit you and see the problem for himself.
Never believe any 5 star ratings because it can also work the other way , if i gave you the worse review ever it wont be long before other reviews push it to say page 5 where nobody would see it.

Sudden shut downs will eventually kill your pc , i once had one that kept crashing and then one day i got a report of 3 corrupted files in the recovery module and i ended up dumping the machine.

Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
Hello,
I purchased a computer from a local business with 50+ 5 star reviews. I considered buying a pre built but elected to support someone local, now I am starting to regret it. The owner, who I will call Jim, built the computer for me and helped me every step of the way and went above and beyond with initial interactions. However within the first week of taking delivery of the unit it started very randomly shutting off. Like the title says almost as if I had my computer plugged into an outlet which was controlled by a light switch and someone came in and flipped the switch off and then back on after about three seconds.

As it stands Jim claims it is most likely software related, blaming the fact that I play a lot of PC games that are still in beta. Games like Valheim, Escape from Tarkov, Sqaud, Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord. These are mostly games with progression and dealing with roll back and losing hours of time consistently is VERY irritating as I'm sure some of you can understand. The worst part is I have a much older computer that I use as a back up and it plays all of these games and crashing is almost none existent let alone complete shut downs.

Jim late last week had me drop the computer back off at his store and he ran several stress tests and even fired up a few of the games that were pretty consistently shutting down the computer. He never had the PC shut off once while it was plugged in at his store. Which made us consider maybe it was power related at my house. I live in a slightly older house which is about 1 hop 1 skip and 1 jump outside of town. Unfortunately we tend to lose power pretty regularly. Maybe 4-5 times per year. So I started thinking maybe there are power sags that I don't really notice or something funky with the power at the wall. I amazon primed a AVR UPS system (EATON 5S 1500VA 900W) to my house to make sure my computer was getting a consistent 120V and if it was in any way related to the power coming from my outlets, this system should handle it.

Well after several stress tests and about an hour of gaming, sure enough it shut down again. It proceeded to shut down two additional times in about a 2.5 hour period. Which leads me to right now.

The entire time my temperatures have never exceeded 78c. Obviously all of the bios and drivers are up to date. I have uninstalled and reinstalled almost everything on my computer at least twice now. The PSU seems to be working normal, it's fan in operating as it should. Has anyone else experienced this type of an issue and if so what was your solution?
Thanks in advance.
Vaughn

i9-10900K
GTX 3090
32.0 GB Ram
Z490 Pro4
850w PSU
Hi there!

I have had a similar issue in the past, my computer used to switch off even when just running idle.

I would suggest checking event viewer to see if there are any error codes showing up on your system at similar times to when your PC shuts off. (You can do this in both normal windows as well as safe mode if you're having constant power down issues.)

Also be sure to check your PC's power plan within windows and try to increase it to the best for performance as it could be an issue with your components not receiving enough power while under load and this could help resolve this.

As well as any general things such as dust in your fans or computer E.G re-seating your ram, cpu etc. Look out for any sort of burning smell which could indicate a bad PSU or things such as LED lights glitching or switching off if they do, this could also indicate bad power distribution.

I hope this helps out & if it doesn't, I hope you get the issue resolved! PC's can be an absolute headache sometimes! :)

Jan 19, 2022
First of all get one of these 230V Professional Mains Socket Tester with Fault Finder - 13A - Socket & See | CPC UK (farnell.com) from a local electrical shop , you plug them into a mains socket and the combination of lights may reveal a problem that you might not be aware of.

You say Jim ! is only a hop skip and a jump from your home so why not as him to visit you and see the problem for himself.
Never believe any 5 star ratings because it can also work the other way , if i gave you the worse review ever it wont be long before other reviews push it to say page 5 where nobody would see it.

Sudden shut downs will eventually kill your pc , i once had one that kept crashing and then one day i got a report of 3 corrupted files in the recovery module and i ended up dumping the machine.

Okay, good idea. I just ordered one, it will be here tomorrow.

I asked him that via text this morning, currently awaiting a reply.

Yes it was not a cheap investment, the last thing I want to do is destroy the PC before ever getting a real chance to fully enjoy it.

Jan 19, 2022
Hi there!

I have had a similar issue in the past, my computer used to switch off even when just running idle.

I would suggest checking event viewer to see if there are any error codes showing up on your system at similar times to when your PC shuts off. (You can do this in both normal windows as well as safe mode if you're having constant power down issues.)

Also be sure to check your PC's power plan within windows and try to increase it to the best for performance as it could be an issue with your components not receiving enough power while under load and this could help resolve this.

As well as any general things such as dust in your fans or computer E.G re-seating your ram, cpu etc. Look out for any sort of burning smell which could indicate a bad PSU or things such as LED lights glitching or switching off if they do, this could also indicate bad power distribution.

I hope this helps out & if it doesn't, I hope you get the issue resolved! PC's can be an absolute headache sometimes! :)

I am relatively naïve when it comes to software related issues so I will pass this information along to Jim and see what he thinks.

I do have the power option set to high performance.

There are not any other symptom or signs really. This thing runs like a beast until it doesn't lol

Thank you for your help.

Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
I am relatively naïve when it comes to software related issues so I will pass this information along to Jim and see what he thinks.

I do have the power option set to high performance.

There are not any other symptom or signs really. This thing runs like a beast until it doesn't lol

Thank you for your help.
Hi there!

Seeing as it keeps shutting down even after the power plan has been changed. I would say that it could most probably be a problem with the PSU itself. Your PC could still be failing to draw enough power from the PSU due to some sort of hardware fault. (Estimated guess from what I've heard as I cannot physically see and test the machine myself).

What I would suggest is to grab yourself another PSU and test the system to see if this really is the cause of this. If it is still causing issue after you have tried testing a new PSU, it could be some sort of other hardware fault or even something software related.

I am sorry if it seems like i'm telling you the same things again! I wish I could be there to help you physically test but I cannot unfortunately. I hope this helps you get the issue resolved though! :)

Jan 19, 2022
Hey, thank you for your advice. Since the last time I posted on this thread I have replaced the PSU with a 1200W EVGA Plat. I realize this is a little overkill but I wanted to A) eliminate the PSU from being the issue and B) Buy one that was going to be viable for hopefully many years into the future. Since this change has been made I have not had any crashing yet and it has been about 10 days. So fingers crossed this has solved the problem. Also Jim has agreed to reimburse me the difference for the new power supply.

Reactions: Nine Layer Nige
Jan 18, 2022
www.youtube.com
Hi!

Glad to hear you got it all sorted at least! With a PSU like that your system should last. Fingers crossed you don't run into any more issues with it.

Thanks for letting me know the resolution. I hope you're having a good day! :D

Jun 16, 2023
Hey, thank you for your advice. Since the last time I posted on this thread I have replaced the PSU with a 1200W EVGA Plat. I realize this is a little overkill but I wanted to A) eliminate the PSU from being the issue and B) Buy one that was going to be viable for hopefully many years into the future. Since this change has been made I have not had any crashing yet and it has been about 10 days. So fingers crossed this has solved the problem. Also Jim has agreed to reimburse me the difference for the new power supply.
Ik this is an older thread but i’m curious if this actually fixed it or the problem continued? I’m having a similar issue except it will only stay on for 5-10 min too. Same thing tho at the repair store it stayed on the entire time. Thanks