Status
Not open for further replies.

0AgentHani0

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Hi there,

I have a problem with my computer, this just happened today which is strange,

I Start the computer, BIOS Starts up and then i get ended up being stuck at logo/splash screen, theres nothing i can do except going into the BIOS menu or just keep on restarting,

Screenshot:-
4LTC4TC.jpg

I unplugged everything in the motherboard, including HDDs, usbs, vga and plugged them back, i even cleared CMOS and resetted the bios, nothing worked at all.. i couldnt still identify the problem..

=====================================
These are my specs if i remember correctly :-

Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-B85M-HD3
RAM : 8 GB DDR3 KINGSTON
Graphics : Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
HDD(2) : 1)WDC 500GB ~ 2)TOSHIBA 1TB
=====================================
Any replies, help or solutions are highly appreciated !

Solution
I suggest that you reinstall windows. I use the following steps and the thing for you is to ensure is that only the intended boot drive is installed during the process.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to save files, try this before the full install process:

How to save data:
Create an up to date USB install tool by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open...

chris11d7

Honorable
May 5, 2014
Did you say you can enter the BIOS to the section where you can change settings? Is your only problem that it won't boot in to windows? Finally, did you install Windows on this hardware, or did you move the boot drive from a different system?
If booting in to the OS is the only problem, I'm thinking it may be the 'secure boot' or 'UEFI/Legacy Boot' settings.
Let us know! Thanks,

Chris Nelson

0AgentHani0

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Did you say you can enter the BIOS to the section where you can change settings? Is your only problem that it won't boot in to windows? Finally, did you install Windows on this hardware, or did you move the boot drive from a different system?
If booting in to the OS is the only problem, I'm thinking it may be the 'secure boot' or 'UEFI/Legacy Boot' settings.
Let us know! Thanks,

Chris Nelson

Yes i still have ACCESS to enter the bios settings but i cannot boot to windows, the motherboard's splash screen that is stuck is preventing me to launch/get in..

The hardware was on Windows 7 Ultimate OS, but i just upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro which means ofcourse i installed/upgraded the OS myself, after installing windows 10.. it was like 2 weeks i had no issues with it at all, the problem just started today out of no where.

Here are the following booting properties of my system:-

- Pressing F12 will give me this boot selection menu :
I Have 3 things to select,

1. UEFI OS (P1 : WDC Harddrive) = i have no idea what UEFI OS refers to,(i remember before it was called "Windows Boot Manager" something like that but now its UEFI OS which is weird.)
  2. WDC HDD (500 GB HDD where my C:/ is stored)
  3. TOSHIBA HDD (1TB HDD where i keep heavy sized projects)

D9pyaCe.jpg

===========================================

- Booting into the selections :

1) I try booting into UEFI OS (P1 : WDC) and thats where i get stuck on splash screen/logo.. nothing happens.

2) I try booting into WDC HDD and also tried booting into TOSHIBA HDD but this shows up:

dkyCFzr.jpg

so that means i can only boot to UEFI OS(P1:WDC) but again its still a failure because i get stuck on the splash screen on that one.

- Entering BIOS section of GIGABYTE's UEFI DUALBIOS Main Menu (by pressing DEL Key on startup)

Here are the first boot option priorities :

bj3KKyn.jpg

Boot Option #1 = UEFI OS (P1: WDC)
Boot Option #2 = P1 : WDC

- Entering Hard Drive BBS Priorities (which is there underneath "boot option priorities"

I dont really know what HDD BBS Priority is, this is where i get confused between booting options and their priorities..

bMZRpAC.jpg

Boot Option #1 : P1 = WDC
Boot Option #2 : P0 = Toshiba

I always try to make sure my WDC HDD is on first priority, because thats where all the windows files(C:/) is stored..
The toshiba HDD is just my projects, and video recordings etc.

- Boot Mode Selection :

Its set to UEFI AND LEGACY

jbapaER.jpg

- Secure Boot State
it is disabled

cIjNUOB.jpg

- Save and Exit Section :

IxAGKQz.jpg

I also tried installing Windows 10 Pro OS on a separate USB Drive, i didnt got stuck and it let me enter the menu where i can reinstall the OS or just boot up the startup repair, but startup repair didnt even helped because it said that it cant perform startup repairs, i tried going on cmd prompt and did chkdsk r/ c: & d:, none of those helped me as well, i am just stuck with that splash screen and idk if its because of the booting problems or is it that some of my HDD is broken i just dont really know.. i am not sure if i want to reinstall the OS all over again, that requires me to format my HDDs and i may lost alot of stuff i guess..

I hope i simplified my answer, this is the complete information right here.. thank you once again for replying, i hope for a solution.

I suggest that you reinstall windows. I use the following steps and the thing for you is to ensure is that only the intended boot drive is installed during the process.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to save data:

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to the USB or hdd
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing windows

Disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Solution

0AgentHani0

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015

How to save data:

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to the USB or hdd
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing windows

Disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Well i didnt intended to save any file so i was like okay i will just go ahead and delete everything in the drive and reinstall windows on the WDC HDD,

i already have the 2nd 1 TB Drive unplugged(The toshiba one) and only one HDD is active where i am currently installing windows in..

But then i encountered with another problem, after the installation process :-

an error popped out saying this :

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation.

I have cleared everything from the drive, and i have started performing a clean/fresh windows install onto that drive but i dont understand why did i get this error, i dont have any other HDDs plugged.. except only one where i am currently installing windows on..

I tried to double check on the BIOS options,

BOOT MODE SELECTION is set on : UEFI & LEGACY
there are 4 options for BOOT mode selection..
1)UEFI ONLY
2)LEGACY ONLY
3)UEFI & LEGACY
4)DISABLED

should i keep it only UEFI??

also my SATA Mode selection was already set to AHCI Before, nothing was changed in it.

He7QIrx.jpg

& Just to ensure this is my current boot priorities after unplugging my 2nd drive(toshiba HDD)

Current Boot option priority:
TTKGSpl.jpg

#1 = UEFI : General Udisk (which is the win 10 bootable usb)
#2 = UEFI : WDC HDD (Which is the drive that i am trying to install windows in)

==============================================================

Current Harddrive BBS priority:
gD0OLf3.jpg

#1 = General Udisk
#2 = P1 : WDC HDD

Current Save and Exit menu :-

K0Svx91.jpg

Current F12 Booting Menu :

MxMDGAn.jpg

Last edited:
Reinstall again

The step about deleting partitions note that it says to delete all partitions on the install drive, then select the unoccupied space and click NEXT . Did you do that ?

Leave boot mode at uefi only

Boot priority for the install is first the uefi usb and after the install select the uefi wdc.

0AgentHani0

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Reinstall again

The step about deleting partitions note that it says to delete all partitions on the install drive, then select the unoccupied space and click NEXT . Did you do that ?

Leave boot mode at uefi only

Boot priority for the install is first the uefi usb and after the install select the uefi wdc.

Ok i changed the bootmode to UEFI Only,

(Also did some few hardware changes to keep it clean like : Plugging WDC to Port 0 SATA instead of Port 1 SATA just to make sure i want WDC to be always first in everything.)

1. Inserted win 10 bootable usb
  2. Clicking Install
  3. Going in the partition menu

Windows automatically creates 4 Partitions(Recovery - System - MSR - Primary) on the drive which is common because UEFI/Windows 10 ofcourse.

so i tried deleting all of those partitions just forming them all into one single unallocated partition and then clicked "next"

Then i got this error again after the installation process : -
Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation.

BUT I ACTUALLY REALIZED THE PROBLEM TO WHY I KEEP GETTING THIS ERROR MULTIPLE TIMES DURING THE INSTALLATION PROCESS

The programs or the setup files on my USB were completely of old version or it was corrupted/outdated..

I asked for a friend of mine to delete whatever is in the USB and do a clean install of latest win 10 pro(october update 1809 version) onto it.

i retried all of the installation process by putting the USB back and finally it worked, no errors at all, cheers !

Although i still didnt figured out what really caused that splash screen to get stuck, from onwards i will keep an eye about it.

Thank you for the support guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.