[SOLVED] Computer won't POST after adding two HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2023
I have a computer in which I have 4 NAS hard drives installed. I've just added two more to the system and the computer won't POST. I hit the power button and I hear a brief click of the system starting to turn on then nothing. I disconnected the two new hard drives from the PSU and the computer booted in safe mode with a screen that said it had failed to POST previously, but was able to get to the desktop and computer runs like normal. Reconnected the new HDDs to PSU and yep, doesn't POST. I even tried with just one drive connected and same thing.

I have all the hard drives connect in pairs of 2 to the PSU (2 drives, 1 SATA power cable). The PSU is 850 watt, so I would think it should be able to handle 6 hard drives, but at least it seems to be an issue with the PSU. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?

SPECS
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G 3.90 GHz w/ stock cooler
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B-550F Gaming Motherboard
  • GPU: (none, using on-board graphics)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3200MHz
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb NVMe
  • HDD: All WD Red (2x 10TB, 1x 8TB, 3x 6TB)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023
Failed drive can do that.
Or you're using wrong modular cables (from a different model modular psu) and this is causing short.

I independently tested the drives and all of them are working.

Curious about your next point... All of the cables I'm using came with the PSU, I'm at least 90% sure. Is there a way to verify something like this?

Jan 3, 2023
Use a different PSU.
Use cables, you're 100% sure belong to this PSU.

Note - using wrong modular cables can damage/kill hardware connected.

This was it! I checked all the cables and evidently, two four node SATA power cables had got mixed up between my new comp's PSU and this older one. Not sure how, but the computer boots with all drives connected and I mercifully did not kill a drive.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.