[SOLVED] Confused between PWM and SYS_FAN headers connections

sohaieb001

Prominent
May 8, 2020
Hello,
I bought a case Gaming Spirit Of Gamer Ghost 5 ARGB Edition, it has two 200 mm and one 120mm case fans, and it is accompanied by an ARGB hub which has cables outputs ( 3pins RGB & VGD, 4pins PWM).
Fans are pre-configured in the Hub. (To be honest i could not find the brand of the hub to mention here).
I bought MSI B250 motherboard and i plugged it in the case..
But, my problem, is that i did not know which cable should i plug into the motherboard: should i plug PWM cable to PUMP_HEADER, or to SYS_FAN header? and which one of these pinouts supports PWM?
For know, i plugged it in PUMP_HEADER, but i think it's not work in the good way (it rotates, but in the bios it is displayed with 0 RPM value).
thanks in advance

any 4-pin "fan" port will offer PWM fan control.
pump header ports are designed for liquid cooler pump control but usually work in the same way.

if you have multiple chassis fan ports on the motherboard you should probably have the 120mm fan plugged directly into the motherboard and have it's own custom fan curve.
using different fans with different RPMs through a fan hub will not allow for separate PWM fan control.
the 2x 200mm fans can be run with the same fan curve since they are the same model with the same specs. but the 120mm would not have the same specs and therefore will not properly follow the same curve.

Reactions: sohaieb001

sohaieb001

Prominent
May 8, 2020
any 4-pin "fan" port will offer PWM fan control.
pump header ports are designed for liquid cooler pump control but usually work in the same way.

if you have multiple chassis fan ports on the motherboard you should probably have the 120mm fan plugged directly into the motherboard and have it's own custom fan curve.
using different fans with different RPMs through a fan hub will not allow for separate PWM fan control.
the 2x 200mm fans can be run with the same fan curve since they are the same model with the same specs. but the 120mm would not have the same specs and therefore will not properly follow the same curve.
Thank you for your answer, but my problem is that my BIOS still displaying "0 RPM" for all fans not only the 120mm ..
So is this problem relatif to the difference between fans too?