Sep 8, 2021
Hi there,
My original set up was a Netgear wireless router placed inside the house, connected via 30 metre ethernet cable to a TP-Link TD-W8970 wireless router in a granny flat outside, in order to provide a signal while in the granny flat.
Now I recently got 5G home internet, receiving a Nokia 5G Fastmile router w/ SIM card. This Nokia router will replace the Netgear router inside the house, and connect to the TP-Link router placed outside via ethernet cable in the same way.
I have set the Nokia router up, but now when I'm connected outside in the granny flat, I'm unable to log in to the TP Link router & access settings as the IP shows up to be the same as the Nokia router IP, and I'm only able to log in to the Nokia router settings. The internet still works while outside, but at the same speed as previously (if not, slightly slower). The network name & password are still the same as the old network in the granny flat, also.
I'm unsure about 5G home internet & routers in general. I have a few questions:

• Is this 5G router meant to interact with my existing TP-Link router in the same way that the previous Netgear router was?
  • How can I access the router settings of the TP-Link router again? As it only shows up with one IP address across both the Nokia & TP-Link routers, and only allows me to log in to the Nokia router settings.
  • Assuming the connection is set up properly & working fine, should I expect the same fast 5G-level speeds outside in the granny flat coming from the TP-Link router? Or is the TP-Link router incapable of passing on that 5G-level speed, and I'll have to buy a 2nd 5G router for the granny flat to get those speeds? I'm currently getting around 110-120mbps inside the house, and around 50-60mbps in the granny flat (same as the old wifi connection) via the Google speed test.
If you have any knowledge on this subject or can help answer these questions in any way your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Solution
Hi there,
My original set up was a Netgear wireless router placed inside the house, connected via 30 metre ethernet cable to a TP-Link TD-W8970 wireless router in a granny flat outside, in order to provide a signal while in the granny flat.
Now I recently got 5G home internet, receiving a Nokia 5G Fastmile router w/ SIM card. This Nokia router will replace the Netgear router inside the house, and connect to the TP-Link router placed outside via ethernet cable in the same way.
I have set the Nokia router up, but now when I'm connected outside in the granny flat, I'm unable to log in to the TP Link router & access settings as the IP shows up to be the same as the Nokia router IP, and I'm only able to log in to the Nokia router...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,
I have set the Nokia router up, but now when I'm connected outside in the granny flat, I'm unable to log in to the TP Link router & access settings as the IP shows up to be the same as the Nokia router IP, and I'm only able to log in to the Nokia router settings. The internet still works while outside, but at the same speed as previously (if not, slightly slower). The network name & password are still the same as the old network in the granny flat, also.
I'm unsure about 5G home internet & routers in general. I have a few questions:

• Is this 5G router meant to interact with my existing TP-Link router in the same way that the previous Netgear router was?
  • How can I access the router settings of the TP-Link router again? As it only shows up with one IP address across both the Nokia & TP-Link routers, and only allows me to log in to the Nokia router settings.
  • Assuming the connection is set up properly & working fine, should I expect the same fast 5G-level speeds outside in the granny flat coming from the TP-Link router? Or is the TP-Link router incapable of passing on that 5G-level speed, and I'll have to buy a 2nd 5G router for the granny flat to get those speeds? I'm currently getting around 110-120mbps inside the house, and around 50-60mbps in the granny flat (same as the old wifi connection) via the Google speed test.
If you have any knowledge on this subject or can help answer these questions in any way your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Michael
You need to understand IP address ranges and conflicts. You have a configuration on the TPLink that is now incompatible with the Nokia. So change the TPLink configuration. Disconnect from the Nokia, then connect via ethernet to the TPLink. Change the IP address.

Solution