Blu3_Puls3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
Considering an upgrade from a Geforce GTX 970/i5-4690K to Sapphire AMD RX 5600 XT/Ryzen 5 3600 for 1080p/144 hz?

Hello people of the internet, getting straight to the point my current PC build was made in May of 2015. These are the specs that I am currently rocking.

Geforce GTX 970
i5-4690K CPU (stock speed)
16 GB DDR3RAM
Crossair 650w TX PSU Bronze (Originally had it with first build back in 2012)
ASRock Mobo (Forget the exact model)

I play a pretty a large variety of games from Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil 3, DOOM, Borderlands 3, etc. I always play at 1080p 144hz but I notice recently that some games are starting to get a bit demanding and I know that I'm due for a new build. I'm currently unsure of what graphics card and CPU I want to go with. I been thinking about the Sapphire AMD RX 5600 XT as I can get one for about $300 and it wasn't released that long ago. Some of the other cards are $400 or higher but I'm not sure if it's worth that much or not for 1080p/144hz.

Do you think the Sapphire AMD RX 5600 XT would be a good purchase for 1080p/144hz and last me roughly 3 years? Or do you suggest some other graphics card on the market or wait until the new cards are unveiled?

For the CPU, I wasn't sure if I should get the Ryzen 5 3600 or wait for the 4th gen Ryzen 5 processors. I'm not sure if it would make a huge difference or not.

I'm not super stingy on budget, but I would prefer to pay around the $300 range compared to $500 which is absurd to me for a GPU. Although I am willing to spend up to $400 on the GPU for extra leeway. Far as cpu goes, I think AMD will be pricing their CPU under $200 which is good but again, not sure if I should just buy the Ryzen 5 3600 or wait for the 4th gen version. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Considering that the PSU is now 8 years old, you will need to look for a brand new reliably built 650W PSU to pair with the GPU upgrade. Sure you can go the GPU route but I'd ask you to wait a little longer and see what Nvidia have to offer in their GPU lineup with the RTX3000 series.

If you can wait it out, obviously buying a month or two after release would be a good idea, since early adopters have to deal with the issues of...being an early adopter.

Lutfij

Titan
Considering that the PSU is now 8 years old, you will need to look for a brand new reliably built 650W PSU to pair with the GPU upgrade. Sure you can go the GPU route but I'd ask you to wait a little longer and see what Nvidia have to offer in their GPU lineup with the RTX3000 series.

If you can wait it out, obviously buying a month or two after release would be a good idea, since early adopters have to deal with the issues of...being an early adopter.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution
Considering an upgrade from a Geforce GTX 970/i5-4690K to Sapphire AMD RX 5600 XT/Ryzen 5 3600 for 1080p/144 hz?

Hello people of the internet, getting straight to the point my current PC build was made in May of 2015. These are the specs that I am currently rocking.

Geforce GTX 970
i5-4690K CPU (stock speed)
16 GB DDR3RAM
Crossair 650w TX PSU Bronze (Originally had it with first build back in 2012)
ASRock Mobo (Forget the exact model)

I play a pretty a large variety of games from Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil 3, DOOM, Borderlands 3, etc. I always play at 1080p 144hz but I notice recently that some games are starting to get a bit demanding and I know that I'm due for a new build. I'm currently unsure of what graphics card and CPU I want to go with. I been thinking about the Sapphire AMD RX 5600 XT as I can get one for about $300 and it wasn't released that long ago. Some of the other cards are $400 or higher but I'm not sure if it's worth that much or not for 1080p/144hz.

Do you think the Sapphire AMD RX 5600 XT would be a good purchase for 1080p/144hz and last me roughly 3 years? Or do you suggest some other graphics card on the market or wait until the new cards are unveiled?

For the CPU, I wasn't sure if I should get the Ryzen 5 3600 or wait for the 4th gen Ryzen 5 processors. I'm not sure if it would make a huge difference or not.

I'm not super stingy on budget, but I would prefer to pay around the $300 range compared to $500 which is absurd to me for a GPU. Although I am willing to spend up to $400 on the GPU for extra leeway. Far as cpu goes, I think AMD will be pricing their CPU under $200 which is good but again, not sure if I should just buy the Ryzen 5 3600 or wait for the 4th gen version. Any ideas?

I think the pricing of the 5700xt and 2070 Super is absurd as well.

In the past I never invested properly in the gpu. I did end up buying the 2070S and the gaming experience has been the best I’ve had, ever.

Just trying to say, invest in a good gpu now if you can.

And in your situation wait if you can. Nvidia will release in the next few months and AMD is rumored to have some nice performance gains coming as well.

TRENDING THREADS