Question Cooler and fans not running (first build)

Oct 7, 2024
Hi,

I just managed to complete my first ever build, however when booting & installing Windows,
none of the fans are turning on, and more worrying.. neither is the cooler!

This is way too pricey of a cpu for me to take risks, so I've shut everything down as soon as windows was done installing.

I'm positive everything is plugged into the correct spots:
- cpu_fan for the cooler, this cooler has 2 fans which I've daisy-chained (really can't go wrong, only one way to connect them)
- sys_fan 1 through 5 for the fans (opted not to use the hub that came with the case).

And I don't think I could've plugged those in backwards/upside down onto the board, pretty sure they only fit one way.
Ram is working (or at least the rgb turns on) so I take it the motherboard is properly powered/connected?

Is this something I have to turn on manually in the Bios?
Or am I not hitting some treshold yet for them to turn on?

Pretty sure at least the cpu-cooler should always be running!?

I took the front cover off and already so much heat had built up, even though it's almost a 50% open/mesh case.
Not to the point where I couln't touch the cooler though...
So hopefully I'm ok, to be honest I'm a bit scared of this system I put together.

First AMD & my old pre-built i7 (that I used for nearly a decade) always ran really cool.

Thanks in advance!

>7950x
>MSI x670EGamingPlusWifi
>Dark Rock Pro 5 (probably should've gone watercooling, but I don't like the idea. This cpu has been tested with less powerful coolers with minimal performance loss ).

none of the fans are turning on, and more worrying.. neither is the cooler!
- cpu_fan for the cooler, this cooler has 2 fans which I've daisy-chained (really can't go wrong, only one way to connect them)
- sys_fan 1 through 5 for the fans (opted not to use the hub that came with the case).
Please show a photo of your system with side panel removed.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Is this something I have to turn on manually in the Bios?
have you checked fan settings in the BIOS?
it's possible there is a "silent" or similar setting that is enabled keeping fans from running until a certain temperature range is hit.

and what are you using for motherboard control software within the OS?
there should be settings here for fan control also that should show the fan speed curve and more related information.

Oct 7, 2024
Please show a photo of your system with side panel removed.
(upload to imgur.com and post link

Damn I tried to sign up using a fake phone number (why do they need it??). Now I have to wait a bit before trying again (or use another site if you can recommend one). Sorry for the hassle, I'll try again a an hour or two

Oct 7, 2024
have you checked fan settings in the BIOS?
it's possible there is a "silent" or similar setting that is enabled keeping fans from running until a certain temperature range is hit.

and what are you using for motherboard control software within the OS?
there should be settings here for fan control also that should show the fan speed curve and more related information.
I have not, I can't lie I know almost nothing about pc's...
I'm happy I managed to get everything on the motherboard after some learning, and get it running to the point where I could install windows!
I'm going to take a day or two to really study up on (how to use) BIOS before I mess with it!

There is a switch on the cooler itself, (quiet or performance mode). I have set it to the latter.

I'm not using anything for software yet, I installed windows and got scared because of the no-cooler/hot gpu situation, and powered down the pc.
That's where i'm currently at.

There IS software that comes with the mobo that should allow me to check temps and alter fan speed manually though.
Perhaps it is indeed a threshold, but I somehow doubt it!
Thanks for replying!

Oct 7, 2024
Go into BIOS and make sure your fans are set to PWM mode.
It may be necessary to adjust fan curves.

Or may be fans are set to quiet mode and will start spinning, when certain temperature is reached.
Ok, will do tomorrow (and report back wether I succeed or not).
I need to sleep & borrow a wired keyboard.
Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS