Aug 11, 2019
The problem is when I game, between 30 minutes and 2 hours into gaming, I start getting really laggy.
(Checked memory and cpu usage they are under 30% so not really a memory issue)
I feel this is a heat issue but cannot decipher if it is the case due to different readings from 3 different temp programs. Below are my pc specs and temps from 3 different temp programs.
The MSI command center which i would assume to be most accurate due to also using an msi board shows all is well but the other 2 show 101c at idle and drop to about 97c when gaming. So, am I having heat issues or no? Core temps on all programs show about 39c at idle and raise to about 79c when gaming. It seems to have been this way for about a year and other than the lag when gaming (like 7 days to die or space engineers) I dont seem to have any issues.
  1. is heat really my issue.
  2. why would core temps be so different from cpu temp
The send and receive tubes on the Corsair seem to be fine i guess because one is quite a bit warmer than the other.
I have ordered more thermal past to put on when it gets here, the Arctic Cooling MX-4 but i'm not sure if heat is the issue.

MSI x99a sli plus board
intel i7 6800k
32G ram
Corsair liquid cooled
gtx 1070

MSI Command Center shows
CPU at idle is showing 50c, and cores at 38c
when gaming shows aprox 75c on the cpu and cores

HOWEVER...
iCUE shows
CPU at idle is showing a constant temp of 101c but cores show at 45c.
when gaming shows cpu drop from 100c to as low as 97c

SpeedFan shows
CPU at idle is showing same at 101c (I cannot see where it shows the cores)
when gaming shows cpu drop from 101c to as low as 97c

Solution
ok, so i am showing 4 temps with an average of 50c at idle using the realtemp prog. I just now ran a cpu stress test with the intel program and it passed (pasted results below). So it seems that temp is not an issue ?? however, two things, 1. when i first started noticing the issue, my corsair would flash red. thats when i started checking temps. I could turn on my fans on the gpu and it would cool the gpu back down from 80 to 60 or so. and the temp would show lowered and the light would shut off but my game would still lag. so i dont think it has anything to do with that. and 2 i also noticed when I use the corsair "link" program, the temperatures look fine, 50c for cores but it also shows MB temp which i think would stand for...
Aug 11, 2019
ok, so i am showing 4 temps with an average of 50c at idle using the realtemp prog. I just now ran a cpu stress test with the intel program and it passed (pasted results below). So it seems that temp is not an issue ?? however, two things, 1. when i first started noticing the issue, my corsair would flash red. thats when i started checking temps. I could turn on my fans on the gpu and it would cool the gpu back down from 80 to 60 or so. and the temp would show lowered and the light would shut off but my game would still lag. so i dont think it has anything to do with that. and 2 i also noticed when I use the corsair "link" program, the temperatures look fine, 50c for cores but it also shows MB temp which i think would stand for mainboard. it shows 5 of them and one of those are 100c. I dont know if it is for the mother board or what? why would turning on the gpu fan stop the corsair from flashing (which is attached to the CPU)?

ok, so i am showing 4 temps with an average of 50c at idle using the realtemp prog. I just now ran a cpu stress test with the intel program and it passed (pasted results below). So it seems that temp is not an issue ?? however, two things, 1. when i first started noticing the issue, my corsair would flash red. thats when i started checking temps. I could turn on my fans on the gpu and it would cool the gpu back down from 80 to 60 or so. and the temp would show lowered and the light would shut off but my game would still lag. so i dont think it has anything to do with that. and 2 i also noticed when I use the corsair "link" program, the temperatures look fine, 50c for cores but it also shows MB temp which i think would stand for mainboard. it shows 5 of them and one of those are 100c. I dont know if it is for the mother board or what? why would turning on the gpu fan stop the corsair from flashing (which is attached to the CPU)?

Some motherboard temps reported by Corsair Link are vrm temps which is normal being close to 100C and it isn't really an issue. It could be better down but still it won't throttle your cpu. However if this temp jumps to more than 115C or so, it could throttle the cpu and drop cpu usage. To delineate the issue, use a monitoring tool like Riva Tuner from MSI Afterburner and monitor your cpu and gpu usage, temps and frames while gaming and try to correlate the statistics when you are having lag. Keep an eye on that 100C temp while you are having the issue. Make sure to select all cpu cores for monitor and keep an eye on the max temp for each one of them. Usually cpu temp is defined by the hottest core.
You must also define what type of "lag" you are having. Is it fps dropping? If you see frames dropping below 60, then it's a fps drop lag. If not, it's something else.
Check all of your cpu cooler connections again. Usually the 3-pin connector should be at the cpu fan header, not a pump header.

Solution