Sep 13, 2023
Hello, recently my brother replaced the cooling paste on my laptop (Without me knowing). Afterwards ive noticed that my cpu is warmer then before. My guess is that the cooling paste was applied incorrectly.. I've never tried fixing something like this before. Is this hard? I guess the application is different for different cpu's? How do i fix this?

Machine info:

Model: E595 (Type 20NF) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20NF
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

Sep 13, 2023
Hello, recently my brother replaced the cooling paste on my laptop (Without me knowing). Afterwards ive noticed that my cpu is warmer then before. My guess is that the cooling paste was applied incorrectly.. I've never tried fixing something like this before. Is this hard? I guess the application is different for different cpu's? How do i fix this?

Machine info:

Model: E595 (Type 20NF) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20NF
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
screw the laptop open and find the spot where the cpu cooler sits. take the cpu cooler off, grab a standard plastic card (clean one) and spread the cooling paste evenly on the cooling pad using the plastic card

Sep 13, 2023
screw the laptop open and find the spot where the cpu cooler sits. take the cpu cooler off, grab a standard plastic card (clean one) and spread the cooling paste evenly on the cooling pad using the plastic card
So i have to spread it? Cant i just apply a dot of paste and install the cpu cooler? Wouldn't the paste spread evenly by itself?

So i have to spread it? Cant i just apply a dot of paste and install the cpu cooler? Wouldn't the paste spread evenly by itself?
Opinions vary.
A single dot will spread out under heat and pressure with no air gaps.
That is my preferred method.
The spreading method works ok, but depends on the skill involved in spreading evenly with no opportunity for trapped air.
In any case, the cooler needs to be mounted evenly.
The mounting screws need to be tightened evenly in a criss cross pattern a bit at a time to seat the cooler level/