[SOLVED] Corsair TX650M bang sound, while off but plugged in

Mar 27, 2020
Hello all,

The below has happened:
  • I had to replace my first Corsairs TX650M Gold around month ago as it blew while computer was switched ON, but was making bang sounds while computer was OFF & ON at the mains socket;
  • The new replacement PSU randomly made a bang sound last week, while the comptuer was OFF, but ON at the mains;
  • I've checked computer performance under load, all seems to be fine & it is peforming well;
  • The PSU is plugged into an surge-protected socket extender (it's a cheap one, may see if I can return it);
  • I'm not using my computer currently to protect it, but it still switches on & works;
  • I'm going to call an Electrician to tests the mains sockets, to see if there's a problem;
PSU: Corsair 650W TX650M Gold Hybid Modular Power Supply/PSU (see product on Scan).
My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/spagboll/saved/RhqrrH

It seems to just be the PSU that makes a sound, I have a laptop connected to the same mains sockets & it's fine :/

Any feedback on the above would be amazing! The help I've gotten so far has been great, so cheers again!

Last edited:
Solution
I think you're right to call in a certified electrician to scope out the wall socket(and the whole houses' wiring) to see if there's an issue with your wiring. Also, if you're not needing to use the PC while it's powered down, it's good practice to switch off the mains as well(in case you don't need to use the wall outlet) since the PSU will have vampiric power draw(this is how the PC is able to power on when you hit the power button).

Lutfij

Titan
I think you're right to call in a certified electrician to scope out the wall socket(and the whole houses' wiring) to see if there's an issue with your wiring. Also, if you're not needing to use the PC while it's powered down, it's good practice to switch off the mains as well(in case you don't need to use the wall outlet) since the PSU will have vampiric power draw(this is how the PC is able to power on when you hit the power button).

Reactions: spagboll
Solution
Mar 27, 2020

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

I think my room/the house wiring is to blame - I find it extremely unlikely I would receive another faulty unit from a high-quality brand like Corsair.

Do you think the bang I heard last week may have affected the PSU now? I mean it still powers on etc, just unsure if it will cause any problems in the future...