Question CPU and GPU fan speed issues

Max_34

Reputable
May 9, 2016
1. 5700XT from Gigabyte
The fans are not spinning even if Wattman says they are.
I will attach a screenshot of what is shown in wattman. (https://ibb.co/ssDWTF2)

2. CPU Fan runs normally but every 5-10 seconds it goes faster than normal. If I set the power saving mode of windows 10 to "Power Saving" this issue is fixed.
Can you please help me with this? Should I purchase a new cooler, cause at the moment this is the Stock Wraith Stealth cooler?

Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700XT OC
Motherboard: Asus TUF X470-Plus

The cpu cooler is supposed to increase in speed along with increase of cpu temperature. If you watch the cpu temp with an app, and listen to the cpu cooler it should increase in speed with temp increase. For the gpu use a hwmonitor app and see if this reports the gpu fan speed correctly.

Reactions: Max_34

Max_34

Reputable
May 9, 2016
The cpu cooler is supposed to increase in speed along with increase of cpu temperature. If you watch the cpu temp with an app, and listen to the cpu cooler it should increase in speed with temp increase. For the gpu use a hwmonitor app and see if this reports the gpu fan speed correctly.
I tried multiple fan curves, but its not happening, there is nothing happening with the temperature, the fan just likes going crazy...

Reactions: Andrii4669

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
This behavior is very common for Ryzen 3000. You can try setting a fan curve for your CPU to ignore the temp spikes, and for your fan to ramp up when you are approaching higher temps, lets say 60-70c and to go full speed at 80c. Thermal Junction is 90-95c on your CPU basically your fan will maintain 40-50% usage up to 60c keeping your fan noise down if you want it to be silent. Or spend some money and upgrade the cooler. The fan on the upgraded cooler will act the same, but it will keep your CPU cooler and you won't notice the fan ramp up as much.

As for your GPU it has a zero load feature so its fans wont spin unless you are gaming or doing something intensive with it. I have a Gigabyte 1660 ti and the fans only ever spin during gaming. But if your fans never spin and the GPU temps keep rising or your games crash then there is an issue.

Max_34

Reputable
May 9, 2016
This behavior is very common for Ryzen 3000. You can try setting a fan curve for your CPU to ignore the temp spikes, and for your fan to ramp up when you are approaching higher temps, lets say 60-70c and to go full speed at 80c. Thermal Junction is 90-95c on your CPU basically your fan will maintain 40-50% usage up to 60c keeping your fan noise down if you want it to be silent. Or spend some money and upgrade the cooler. The fan on the upgraded cooler will act the same, but it will keep your CPU cooler and you won't notice the fan ramp up as much.

As for your GPU it has a zero load feature so its fans wont spin unless you are gaming or doing something intensive with it. I have a Gigabyte 1660 ti and the fans only ever spin during gaming. But if your fans never spin and the GPU temps keep rising or your games crash then there is an issue.

Thanks for your answer, I was thinking about making a curve, but I don't really know what values to set where. Your example helps a lot.
I don't mind hearing the fan as long as it keeps a constant noise, i just don't like it going up and down all time, its really annoying.
Can you please give me some examples of quiet coolers that fit the AM4?
I was thinking of something cheap as I don't really have too much money after building this PC.
I m looking at the following:
SilentiumC Spartan 3 PRO HE1024 - 32$ in my country
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 - 51$
Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 - 49$

Any of these are good? - I m purchasing from emag.ro or pcgarage.ro - not sure if you have access to look on these site and check the available stock, cause I don't really want to order from other countries and wait a ton of time.

Also, i managed to deactivate the zero fan setting in the Wattman and the fans are now spinning on the GPU. Do you have a good example of a RPM Curve for my GPU?

Thanks a lot for your answers, i really appreciate.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Can you please give me some examples of quiet coolers that fit the AM4?
I was thinking of something cheap as I don't really have too much money after building this PC.
I m looking at the following:
SilentiumC Spartan 3 PRO HE1024 - 32$ in my country
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 - 51$
Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 - 49$

I don't know much about the Spartan, but it has a rated TDP of 150 which is pretty good. I would look to see if there are any reviews. Noctua is great and I use them for my case fans, but that cooler will not provide better cooling than your stock one. The Thetmaltake is a good option and is an upgrade from your current cooler. Other coolers in your price range are the Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE, or Scyth Mugen. You can determine what coolers are an upgrade by searching their TDP compared to your stock cooler.

edit: But before you go spending more money give this a try. If you know how to adjust your power settings make sure you are using the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan. Then go to Change Plan Settings, then go to Change Advanced Power Settings. Then in Processor power management change Minimum processor state to 0%, and change Maximum processor state to 99%. Then restart your computer. This is the power plan I use with my 3800x and stock cooler.

Last edited: