[SOLVED] cpu at 90+ degrees while gaming, please help

WoodyTheTechWizard

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016
Hi i have a i7-6700 with a corsair h100i aio recently changed case and thought i may have put the aio back on wrong but i havent but getting temps of 90 and higher even reched 100 at one point just cant seem to figure it out ive got mt radiator fans blowing air out the top of the pc

Solution
Sounds like you have a problem.
100c. will cause throttling.

What is the make/model of your new case and fan arrangement?

What is your cpu temperature at idle?
I would expect 10-15c. over ambient if the cooler is functioning and is mounted well.

Much higher than that can be caused by a few things.

1. The pump is not mounted securely and level.
  2. The H100I has some air that has entered the system through permeation of the cooling lines.
  3. The pump is failing.
  4. Particles have entered the system.
In time all aio coolers will have this problem; they do not last forever.

I7-6700 is not overclockable so it will not generate much heat.
If you need to replace the cooler a simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan will do...

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
ok then, a couple checks I would do:
make sure the pump 3pin cable is plugged in correctly into the motherboard
when the computer is running hold your hand on the pump of the aio and feel if its making a gentle "hum or vibration" to signify that the pump is actually working

if both those things check out i would try remounting the aio, making sure everything is tightened properly

Reactions: WoodyTheTechWizard
Sounds like you have a problem.
100c. will cause throttling.

What is the make/model of your new case and fan arrangement?

What is your cpu temperature at idle?
I would expect 10-15c. over ambient if the cooler is functioning and is mounted well.

Much higher than that can be caused by a few things.

1. The pump is not mounted securely and level.
  2. The H100I has some air that has entered the system through permeation of the cooling lines.
  3. The pump is failing.
  4. Particles have entered the system.
In time all aio coolers will have this problem; they do not last forever.

I7-6700 is not overclockable so it will not generate much heat.
If you need to replace the cooler a simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan will do the job.
If you still have the original stock cooler, it will be noisy, but will do the job.

Solution

WoodyTheTechWizard

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016
ok then, a couple checks I would do:
make sure the pump 3pin cable is plugged in correctly into the motherboard
when the computer is running hold your hand on the pump of the aio and feel if its making a gentle "hum or vibration" to signify that the pump is actually working

if both those things check out i would try remounting the aio, making sure everything is tightened properly

the only cables are the 2 fan cables which use a spiltter to make it one wire and the power cable int the bottom of the aio unit i tried putting the fan cable in the pump header gave me cpu fan error so had to put it in cpu fan header

A very nice case.
Mounting the radiator on top exhausting (as you have done) would be my preferred orientation.
It will not be as effective in cpu cooling because the radiator gets warmed case air to work with.
Mounted in front, you will cool the cpu better but then your motherboard and graphics card gets warmed air to work with.
Catch 22.

Were temperatures normal before the case switch?

The H100i has been around for a long time.
If it is 5 years old, It may be time to replace it.
I suspect air permeation.

A noctua NH-U12s redux at $50 would be a good replacement:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm/p/13C-0005-001N1

If you ever want a upgrade to a hot processor in your new case, the Noctua NH-D15s at $90 is as good as they come for air:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15s/p/N82E16835608072